Re: rev witherspoon

  • eamonn hood
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4 2:14 PM
      hi there first off all thanks for your replys to my post,and let me
      reply to some things posted first off all its bad enough having statue
      off witherspoon but it would be ten times worse having a statue of the
      young pretender charles edward stewert as hes probally one off the
      worst things that ever happend to scotland, and i for one lament the
      fact that didnt see out his days in the tower of london .i also think
      that having a statue to a great man like lord cornwallis would be a
      great idea ,as he was a great britain and remember scotland is part
      ofof britain also a statue of sir edward packenham would be most
      welcome as well and in closing thanks again for having me in your fine
      group.--- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "eamonn hood" <hoode627@h...>
      wrote:
      > in the town of paisley in scotland there is a statue to the reverent
      > witherspoon who singed the american decleration of independence.this
      > statue i think should be torn down as witherspoon was a traitor to
      the
      > crown and his country. it makes me feel sorry for the scottish
      > soldiers how fought for the crown bravely and without complaint, and
      > their regiments that never receved battle honers for their many
      > glorious victories. in closing i would like to see a statue of
      > banestra tarleton , or lord cornwallis or george the 3rd in the
      place
      > of witherspoons statue
    • RON CARNEGIE
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4 5:12 PM
        George the III is not the Rightful King of Scotland. He is a pretender to the throne, with even very weak claims on the English throne!

        Ranald Carnegie
        in the town of paisley in scotland there is a statue to the reverent
        witherspoon who singed the american decleration of independence.this
        statue i think should be torn down as witherspoon was a traitor to the
        crown and his country. it makes me feel sorry for the scottish
        soldiers how fought for the crown bravely and without complaint, and
        their regiments that never receved battle honers for their many
        glorious victories. in closing i would like to see a statue of
        banestra tarleton , or lord cornwallis or george the 3rd in the place
        of witherspoons statue

        Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList member photos, FAQ, etc., at

        http://www.liming.org/revlist/

        TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
        Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4 6:28 PM
          Oh, here we go. I love it when modern people try to attack or defend
          historical figures. Invariably, they apply their own personal preferences and
          perspective, which are usually based on who their parents are, where they were
          born, what their friends and relatives think, what they were taught, and what
          influenced them when they were children.

          As the saying goes, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
          The Boston Tea Party is either the first terrorist act on America's shores (not
          getting into Bacon), or the first blow for "freedom", another word both sides
          in almost every conflict have invariably invoked, even today. Culloden was
          either an attempt to give Scotland its independence again, or an attempt to
          defend the rightful monarch against a pretender to the throne. The American War
          was either a revolt by traitors against their sovereign lord, or a defence
          of long-established liberties and rights against a tyrannical ruler. Take your
          pick.

          From a political standpoint, the label of "traitor" is often applied against
          any historical figure who challenged the status quo, including Jesus Christ.
          Yet it is one of the most difficult to justify, especially in Europe, due to
          the fact that in this pre-democratic era of hereditary monarchial
          governments, no sovereign really ruled with the consent of all the people.

          I have found that if you distill politics completely from the issue, you are
          left with one yardstick with which to judge our ancestors: in their fervent
          endeavors for the sake of their causes, did they grossly violate people's
          civil or human rights along the way, according to the universal standards of the
          day? If not, then they played by the rules of the game. Fortunately,
          after the bloody clashes of the War of the Roses and the English Civil War,
          the American Revolution was fairly tame in comparison, and its primary actors
          fairly civilized in their actions, with some exceptions. So did Reverend
          Witherspoon play by the rules? Did he act nobly and honorably in his cause?
          Those are the petinent questions.

          Rather than some single individual or group demanding that a statue be taken
          down, here's a democratic solution: if the people directly affected want it
          taken down, let them vote to do it. If they want someone else's statue up,
          let them vote to do that, as long as that person played by the rules of the game
          and didn't commit atrocities. Fortunately, Scotland finally has an
          independent elected parliament to address such matters, letting the members of the
          Revlist off the hook in having to decide issues like this.

        • PBSP@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4 6:47 PM
            Sir
            There is an identical statue of Witherspoon, dedicated a little after the
            one in Paisley, here on the campus of Princeton University. He is honored as a
            man who brought stability and scholarship to what was then the College of New
            Jersey. The school had gone through several moves and several presidents who
            had died after short terms heading the new school. His conscience, and his
            ability, placed him in a role of leadership in the colony/state and led to his
            signing the Declaration, along with others associated with the college.
            The Battle of Princeton, as well as many of the battles of the
            Revolutionary War, (and I dare say other wars throughout history) found men of similar
            national origin opposing each other on the Battlefield. They found different
            paths in their fortunes, lives, careers, or political thoughts that led them to
            siding one way or the other. During the Revolution you find not only Scotsmen on
            both sides but Irishmen, Germans, Englishmen, Americans, maybe Welsh,
            Canadians, and others I am sure I am not aware of.
            The Paisely/Princeton statues are to honor and celebrate the connections of
            one who made contributions in both the old and new worlds which went beyond
            politics.

            John Mills
            A New Englander living in New Jersey but Kentucky born of Canadian parents of
            Irish, Scot, Welsh, and English descent.

          • William P. Tatum III
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4 10:13 PM
              George III is the rightful monarch of England, Scotland, and Ireland,
              as declared by Parliament in tracing the heriditary succession
              through the Protestant line. The tribe of pretenders lost their
              legitimate claim to the throne when James the Popish Prince embraced
              arbitrary government, threatening the liberties of all true-born
              Englishmen, and subsequently fled the kingdom upon our liberation by
              the blessed William of Orange and Mary Stuart. Anyone who speaks
              differently is guilty of the highest treason and is also a friend to
              popery and arbitrary government, which have ever been a threat to
              true British protestant liberty. Down with Popery and Arbitrary
              Government! Remember the 5th of November! God Save the King!

              Veni et Vici,
              Will Tatum
              HM 17th Infy.- loyal to the Protestant Succession

              Disclaimer: All remarks regarding "popery" are meant in a purely
              historical context and should not in any way be taken as a sign of
              prejudice against modern devotees of the Catholic faith.

              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "RON CARNEGIE" <r.carnegie@v...>
              wrote:
              > George the III is not the Rightful King of Scotland. He is a
              pretender to the throne, with even very weak claims on the English
              throne!

              > Ranald Carnegie
            • William P. Tatum III
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4 10:21 PM
                --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, JOEWHITNEY@A... wrote:
                > Oh, here we go. I love it when modern people try to attack or defend
                > historical figures. Invariably, they apply their own personal
                preferences and
                > perspective, which are usually based on who their parents are, where
                they were
                > born, what their friends and relatives think, what they were taught,
                and what
                > influenced them when they were children.

                <SNIP>

                And that's why I generally respond with period-correct propaganda, such
                as "Down with Popery and Arbitrary government," the whig rallying cry
                during the exclusion crisis and later during the Glorious Revolution,
                which is what most arguments on the legitimacy of the Stuarts vs. the
                Hanoverians comes to. Now, when its decided whose statue should grace a
                Scottish town's square, take your pick of Scottish heroes of the
                Revolution. Why not John Peebles, or, better yet, Captain William
                Leslie of the 17th, who was KIA at Princeton?

                Regards,
                Will Tatum
                HM 17th Infy
              • Joseph R. Harshaw
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 4 10:35 PM
                  Everstop to think that the statue is to remind, what the Scots lost and
                  what a Scot helped to gain.

                  Joe2SC

                • JOEWHITNEY@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 4 11:55 PM
                    "or george the 3rd in the place of witherspoons statue"

                    If they had asked, we could have just given them the one we had here in New
                    York, since we didn't need it anymore. Well, except as bullets. It makes me
                    wonder how many British, Hessian and Scotch troops "King George" and his horse
                    killed.