military overalls

  • horsehill2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2005
      I have just aquired a pattern for military overalls from Smoke and
      Fire and just CANNOT figure out how to make the pockets and fall
      front! There directions are terribly confusing. Has anyone else made
      these and have a few tips?

      Chris
    • bdodgeweaver
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "horsehill2001" <horsehill2001@y...>
        wrote:
        > I have just aquired a pattern for military overalls from Smoke and
        > Fire and just CANNOT figure out how to make the pockets and fall
        > front! . . . Chris

        Dear Chris - I used one of these patterns a few years ago to make a
        set of open tousers, and found the pattern and directions similarly
        (and regrettably) difficult. You are likley well advised to get both
        Sketchbook '76 and "Rural Pennsylvania Clothing", which have somewhat
        different configurations for the cut of the overalls in the crotch -
        neither has the pronounced semi-circular upswing seen on the Smoke
        and Fire pattern.

        As to pockets, rather than the "button/mule ear" pockets on either
        side of the fall, you may want to consider an inset pocket along the
        outside side seam, which I understand is period. Finally, in fitting
        the "gaiter" portion around the lower leg and shoe, I notice that
        most well fitting overalls have seam or dart running up the back of
        the leg for several inches from the bottom of the gaiter. Good Luck.

        Thad Weaver
        German Regiment
      • Andrew Kirk
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
          Excellent recomendations on the pockets-the "slash"
          pockets are WAy easier to make. It is possible to get
          a nice snug fit in overalls without a dart running up
          the back, you have to shape the seams to the contours
          of your legs. And if they seem too tight, wait untill
          you wear them for a few events-the matrial will
          stretch (wool esp.) and eventually fit the leg
          perfect. My wool overalls fit great-almost like
          McBarron pictures! Haha.
          Andrew Kirk

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs