Re: [Revlist] New Jersey Militia Question

  • John Welsh
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
      Michael, I'm in Washington and belong to the NWCA too. My remote ancestor
      was in the 3rd NJ regiment of militia, and am recognized by the SAR in that
      regard. Welcome aboard. John Welsh
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
        The "Minuteman" system was organized early in the war (1775) .It was
        discontinued in New Jersey ,after the end of Feb 1776.All Minutemen were then to join
        into "Regular" Militia units which were organized on a "Class" duty rotation
        system.Only under the most urgent "alarms" would all the classes be called out
        at once.
        Some of the countys in NJ had more than one Regiment of Militia
        (example:Sussex County had a 1st and a 2nd regiment).
        Ken Miller

      • J. L. Bell on Revolutionary Boston
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
          Mike Dorsett wrote:
          >>The info was on an old DAR application from 1911 and stated that he
          >>was a "Minuteman, New Jersey Militia" Was the term "Minuteman" used
          >>in the NJ Militia?

          John Galvin's book THE MINUTE MEN does a good job documenting how
          minuteman companies were a long established part of British-American
          militia administration. Galvin focused on New England, but I'm not
          surprised to see that the same terminology was used in New Jersey and
          elsewhere.

          J. L. Bell JnoLBell@...
        • Michael Dorsett
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
            Hi John, Yes, I remember meeting you at one the colonial events here. Thanks very much for the welcome. I am really enjoying the list and everyone has been great with info on the NJ militia. Mike D.