18th century Scottish music & dance.

  • Steve Rayner
    Message 1 of 21 , May 3, 2005
      Hi All;

      While looking for something else (18th century folding tables) I stumbled
      into a site on Scottish music that folks might want to check out:

      http://www.standingstones.com/scot18th.html

      There are a couple of good period illustrations of Scottish musicians and
      dancing too. Scoll down to images #2 and #4. Looks like folks are having a
      good time doing the 18th century equivalent of rock 'n roll.

      Thought it might be fun for those who are not, like myself, both genetically
      rythmically-impaired... and bashful. <;)

      Best to All,

      Steve Rayner

    • Steve Rayner
      Message 2 of 21 , May 3, 2005
        Apparently...

        C'mon... they had to do something for fun in between times when they were
        working and fighting!

        I have two 18th century illustrations of Soldiers dancing. One is in a
        Sutler's tent during Queen Anne's Wars, the other is a drawing attributed to
        John Andre* ca. 1775 of Soldiers, Canadians and Native people dancing.
        Everyone seems to be having a good time... no one even seems to mind that
        the ladies in both views have had a 'wardrobe malfunction.'

        Further this deponent saith not...

        Best Regards,

        Steve Rayner
        *By the way - I've looked and can't find anything on him being married, in
        England or the Colonies, or having any surviving children. SR

      • Tw Moran
        Message 3 of 21 , May 3, 2005
          > Everyone seems to be having a good time... no one even seems to mind that
          > the ladies in both views have had a 'wardrobe malfunction.'
          >
          > Further this deponent saith not...

          Do you mean to say that Janet Jackon was only being period correct !

          Himself, calls out from the safety of his intrenchment beneath the rock.
        • rgrokelley
          Message 4 of 21 , May 3, 2005
            Howdy,

            > I have two 18th century illustrations of Soldiers dancing. One is
            in a
            > Sutler's tent during Queen Anne's Wars, the other is a drawing
            attributed to
            > John Andre* ca. 1775 of Soldiers, Canadians and Native people
            dancing.

            The way I look at it, is if you are a Scottish soldier, you can
            dance if you want to. You can leave your friends behind. 'Cause
            your friends don't dance and if they don't dance, well they're no
            friends of mine.
            These same Highlanders can can go where they want to, a place
            where they will never find. And they can act like they come from
            out of this world and leave the real one far behind.
            And they can dance

            Patrick O'Kelley
            goober.com@...

            For those who weren't around in the 1980s due to age or injury,
            ask your mother.
            Next, Wang Chung...
          • Mike Skelly
            Message 5 of 21 , May 3, 2005
              Might want to check out the music of Natalie McMasters
              from Cape Breton Island.

              Good scottish style fiddling there.

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/KZzaMD/.WnJAA/HwKMAA/3OlolB/TM

              > with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Steve Rayner
              Message 6 of 21 , May 3, 2005
                Sorry Gents and of course, Ladies;

                Can't comment further on 18th c. 'wardrobe malfunctions' with any tolerable
                degree of propriety. <;)

                Submitted,

                Steve Rayner.
                PS: There was an Ensign 'John Rotton' IIRC, in the 47th and the RN had a
                ship 'Adamant.'

                As for me, the '80's and '90's were Goth/Industrial and a little bit
                Rockabilly and Techno now and then. Anything for misfits, including
                'Misfits.' Boy - that's shocker. Now, if I could find some 18th century
                Bauhaus... I might dance. Hurdy-gurdy - in the dark, perhaps? But seriously,
                I find the fiddle, tabor and pipes and related instruments very appealing.
                There's a whole world of 18th century folk music to explore. What about the
                old English marrowbones-and-cleavers, bladder-and-string and other stuff?
                Low-tech musical fun! SR

              • Greg Ketcham
                Message 7 of 21 , May 3, 2005
                  Patrick:
                  I suppose this means you can act real rude and totally removed and I
                  can act like an imbecile?
                  <No, I didn't look that up -it's burned into my cerebral cortex>

                  ...and I would rather see you try to fit A Flock of Seagulls into this thread...

                  Greg Ketcham
                  2nd Regt, Albany County Militia (BVMA, CL)

                  On 5/3/05, rgrokelley <goober.com@...> wrote:
                  > Howdy,

                  > The way I look at it, is if you are a Scottish soldier, you can
                  > dance if you want to. You can leave your friends behind. 'Cause
                  > your friends don't dance and if they don't dance, well they're no
                  > friends of mine.
                  > These same Highlanders can can go where they want to, a place
                  > where they will never find. And they can act like they come from
                  > out of this world and leave the real one far behind.
                  > And they can dance

                • Steve Rayner
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 3, 2005
                    Hi...

                    What I was babbling about, before getting distracted, was:

                    Do we have any references or art sources (other than the two I mentioned)
                    telling us something about what kinds of musical instruments, dance or other
                    physical activities were favored by 18th century Soldiers? Jew's harps? Sack
                    races? Bashing two bricks together? Or, was it really just a matter of
                    getting as drunk as possible, whenever possible?

                    Suspectfully Remitted,

                    Steve Rayner

                    PS: On other topics, I've been looking around for 18th century 'Tavern
                    Tables.' Found a few antiques, lots of reproductions, some of them rather
                    funny. Like the one marketed as a 'Shaker Tavern Table.' Think about that...
                    <;)

                  • rgrokelley
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 3, 2005
                      Howdy,

                      > Patrick:
                      > I suppose this means you can act real rude and totally removed and I
                      > can act like an imbecile?
                      > <No, I didn't look that up -it's burned into my cerebral cortex>
                      >
                      > ...and I would rather see you try to fit A Flock of Seagulls into
                      >this thread...

                      Hell no! Not me!
                      I ran, I ran so far away.
                      I just ran, I ran all night and day.
                      I couldn't get away

                      Patrick O'Kelley
                      goober.com@...

                      Is it Charleston yet?
                    • Steve Rayner
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                        Dear 'Liste;

                        Though this was kinda intriguing. Parts of this list have been quoted, but
                        this appears to be the full billing:

                        George Washington Papers at the Library of Congress, 1741-1799: Series 5
                        Financial Papers

                        Plunket Fleeson to George Washington, May 11, 1776, Revolutionary War
                        Accounts, Vouchers, and Receipted Accounts 2

                        �Coll. Joseph Read
                        to His Excellency Genl Washington
                        Philda May 4th 1776 To Plunkett Fleeson Dr
                        To making a large Dining Marque with
                        Double Front }__________________________4..0..0
                        - making another large Marquis with a Cham=r
                        = Tent of ticken, Arch�d,_______________________5..10..0
                        To 52 yads. red stripe 7/8 Flanders ticken a 6/-_____15..12..0
                        - making a large Baggage Tent___________________1..10..0
                        - 11 doz: Girth[?]_________________________4/-__2..4..0
                        21 yds. Canvis for Scirting &c.___a 3/_____________3..3..0
                        2 1/2 Gross large hooks & eyes_______15/-________1..17..6
                        12 yds: guard[?] lace_______________6d._________0..6..0
                        3 Sett tent poles jointed & painted
                        Iron work &c } 40/______________6..0..0
                        10 turned tops painted__________1/______________0..10..0
                        25 [lb?] best hard Cord_________2/______________1..10..0
                        12 doz: tent pins______________1/6_____________0..18..0
                        5 doz: Tuners[???]_____________2/_____________0..10..0
                        200 buttons, 4 Malletts________________________0..12..0
                        Making 2 Walleezes straps buckels Straps }[?]______1..1..0
                        To 18 wallnut camp Stools, moreen,
                        brass nails, girth, tacks & bottoming. } a 15/-_______13..10..0
                        3 wallnut Camp=tables____________a 20/-________3..0..0
                        3 packing Cases Iron clampd_______a 10/-________1..10..0
                        ____________________________________________L. 64..2..6
                        Receivd: May 11th 1776 by the Hands of
                        Andw. Hodge Junr. the above Contents
                        from Genl. Washington [Signed] Plunt: Fleeson�
                        [marginal note:] 26-26

                        Humbly Submitted,

                        Steve Rayner

                      • JJG46@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                          Plunket Fleeson in Philadelphia must have run the original "Hardware Store
                          to The Stars". I've seen two receipts issued by him to Anthony Wayne when
                          Wayne ordered the regimental colors, a flag staff, a painted drum and drumsticks
                          for the 4th Pennsylvania Battalion (predecessor to the 5th Pa Rgt).

                          John Godzieba
                          5th PA Rgt, Lt.Inf

                        • Steve Rayner
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                            Hi John & 'Liste;

                            Indeed, the name "Plunkett Fleeson" is well worth a Google search.
                            Apparently a former militia Officer, a magistrate, and in the upholstery
                            business.

                            It seems that making military equipment and catering funerals were two -big-
                            sidelines of the upholsterers in both the Colonies and England. There's a
                            HUGE irony there, for sure.

                            Best Regards,

                            Steve Rayner

                            >From: JJG46@...
                            >Subject: Re: [Revlist] Original Bill for George Washington's Camp
                            >Equipment.
                            >Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 17:02:32 EDT
                            >
                            >Plunket Fleeson in Philadelphia must have run the original "Hardware Store
                            >to The Stars". I've seen two receipts issued by him to Anthony Wayne when
                            >Wayne ordered the regimental colors, a flag staff, a painted drum and
                            >drumsticks
                            >for the 4th Pennsylvania Battalion (predecessor to the 5th Pa Rgt).
                            >

                            >John Godzieba
                            >5th PA Rgt, Lt.Inf

                          • Jay Callaham
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 4, 2005
                              From: "Steve Rayner" <steverayner@...>

                              <snip>

                              > 3 Sett tent poles jointed & painted
                              > Iron work &c } 40/______________6..0..0
                              > 10 turned tops painted__________1/______________0..10..0
                              > 25 [lb?] best hard Cord_________2/______________1..10..0
                              > 12 doz: tent pins______________1/6_____________0..18..0
                              > 5 doz: Tuners[???]_____________2/_____________0..10..0
                              > 200 buttons, 4 Malletts________________________0..12..0

                              <snip>

                              Great stuff, Steve! PAINTED tent poles. That's nice to see. Granted, this is
                              a General's marquis - but it still shows painting of the poles.

                              I'm wondering what "tuners" were as well.

                              Jay
                              Cm Gds
                              4th Coy, Bde of Guards
                            • avalonf@bcpl.net
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 5, 2005
                                Jay

                                What is missing from the tentage equipment?? Perhaps "tuners" are the
                                wooden tensioners one uses on the tent ropes.

                                --
                                John White
                                Avalon Forge

                                Jay Callaham wrote:

> [...]
                              • Jay Callaham
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 5, 2005
                                  > What is missing from the tentage equipment?? Perhaps "tuners" are the
                                  > wooden tensioners one uses on the tent ropes.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > John White
                                  > Avalon Forge

                                  That is my speculation, John. Something to "tune up" the tent ropes???? But
                                  I've not seen that term in that context so I just don't know. I'm hoping
                                  someone has something more specific.

                                  Thanks.

                                  Jay
                                  Cm Gds