Re: [Revlist] Women of the American Revolution

  • barbmvd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2005
      You are quite right, Ed - and I do not like Ellet's anecdotes/biography's as
      _history_. They are as good however as much of today's fictional depictions of
      18c women.

      I have Volumes I, II, III, originally published in 1852 and 1854 and find
      them fun to read, the language is archaic, and she writes in the flowery style of
      mid 19th century. She does quote some interesting manuscripts, letters. The
      problem is that she muddles facts, she repeats gossip. The results are like a
      game of _telephone_.

      The example that I am most familiar with is her story about Deborah Sampson
      which contains many, many errors and assumptions, i.e. Ellet says Deborah's
      discharge was delivered to her personally by General Washington - no, no -
      Deborah received her discharge from Gen.Knox at West Point - 25 Oct. 1783.

      Happy reading, yes, it is fun reading - but check out facts before you make
      use of them.

      ~Barbara

      Barbara M. Delorey
      "Blinding ignorance does mislead us.O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! "
      Leonardo Da Vinci

    • ju_rees18938
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2005
        Dear Ed,

        I tried to contact you via your website, but didn't see your name
        listed.

        What about all those thousands of nameless women of the Revolution?
        Don Hagist's article on British camp followers is online at
        RevWar75, as are several of my campfollower articles. I say the
        lesser known ladies are as important (perhaps more so) than the well-
        known ones. How about links to our online articles to balance out
        the mix?

        Cheers,

        John Rees
        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Ed St.Germain" <patriot1@e...>