Rifles, range and accuracy, North vs South

  • Patrick J O'Kelley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2005
      Howdy,

      >Rifles did exist in NE but I am not sure to what extent. It's
      >possible their presence just didn't/don't get the publicity that they
      >receive in the mid-Atlantic region. It's also possible that people
      >didn't need the range and accuracy of rifles in the wooded wilderness
      >of the northeast. It's not that common to get a clear shot at a
      >target over a few dozen yards away. The slow, heavy slug of a musket
      >will tear through branches and brush better than a lighter rifle
      >projectile.

      Range is not a big factor down here, then or now, in relation to
      hunting critters. Usually you are shooting at about 50 yards. I
      recently talked to a woman from California and she was surprised we
      hunted with shotguns down here. If you look at the eastern regions of
      the Carolinas you notice that there are not many rifles, and the weapons
      usually are fowlers, shotguns and muskets. As you progress out to the
      western areas you start seeing more rifles. I don't think this had
      anything to do with hunting, and it probably had more to do with defense.
      In the east they pretty much used their weapons for just hunting and
      pleasure. However in the west there still was the threat of Indians. In
      that situation you would want an accurate weapon, if you only had one
      chance to make it count. Though no one mentions this in primary
      accounts, this is my opinion why there were more rifles in the wilderness
      regions, and less in the "civilized" areas.

      >Tactics here call for either staying invisible for a
      >couple weeks or blending in with the lips (local indigenous
      >populations) by dressing as Canadians or savages

      In Special Forces we called these guys LBGs (little brown guys)

      Patrick O'Kelley
      http://www.2nc.org/
      Author of "Nothing but Blood and Slaughter" The Revolutionary War in the
      Carolinas
      Available at Volume One 1771-1779
      http://www.booklocker.com/books/1469.html
      Volume Two 1780
      http://www.booklocker.com/books/1707.html

    • flintriflesmith
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2005
        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Patrick J O'Kelley <goober.com@j...>
        wrote:
        ...As you progress out to the western areas you start seeing more
        rifles. I don't think this had anything to do with hunting, and it
        probably had more to do with defense.
        > In the east they pretty much used their weapons for just hunting
        and pleasure. However in the west there still was the threat of
        Indians. In that situation you would want an accurate weapon, if you
        only had one chance to make it count. Though no one mentions this in
        primary accounts, this is my opinion why there were more rifles in
        the wilderness regions, and less in the "civilized" areas. ...

        Another huge factor is the Germanic culture vs. English culture. Of
        course the English and Scotts-Irish on the frontier quickly saw the
        advantage of accurate rifles.

        As for documentation of the need for accuracy in fighting Indians,
        look up some of the period descriptions of the Battle of Point
        Pleasant. As I recall there is mention of the Indians only revealing
        their shoulder and a part of their face when shooting from behind
        trees. The Augusta riflemen were shooting at very small targets that
        were only in view for a short time. I don't have the account in front
        of me but I recall that most of the bodies left on the field were
        shot in the head.