Rifle Units and Events

  • umfspock87@cs.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 28, 2004
      Dear List,

      I have a few questions about riflemen and rifle units in our hobby. Almost
      all of my activites over the past six years has been with musket companies,
      usually line, sometimes lights, so my knowldege of rifle units is pretty limited.

      My first question is, how many units are there that do solely a rifle
      impression? What are their names?

      Next, what units ( besides the 7th and 1st VA ) include riflemen in their
      unit?

      Next, what are some of the best rifle events of the past few years. Have
      there been any events that was geared for riflemen?

      I don't recall if Savannah 225 or Monmouth 225 had separate rifle
      detachments, so the last big event that I remember is Saratoga, 225.

      Since the rifles (both individuals and groups) seem much more independent,
      how do they organize and coordinate themselves at events? It seems to me that
      they should play a prominent role at some events...

      Off the top of my head I think that the following battles / events involved
      riflemen in some important way...

      Great Bridge, Quebec, Ft. Washington, Brandywine, Saratoga, Valley Forge, the
      New York Frontier in 1778 & 1779, Kings Mt., Cowpens, Guilford C.H.,
      Petersburg???, and Green Spring. What other events have I missed?

      (Never mind, I just check the LaCrosse book and saw all of the engagements)

      Lastly, most of my limited knowledge about riflemen pertains to the Virginia
      rifle companies and Morgan's Rifle Corps. I consider myself pretty well
      versed in Morgan's activities, but virtually ignorant of other rifle units of the
      period. What American rifle units operated in the war? Where were they from
      and what did they actually do?

      Thanks,

      Mike Cecere ( a wannabee rifleman )
    • JJG46@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 28, 2004
        Mike,
        The 5th PA Regiment includes both Rifle & Light Infantry companies in the
        regiment. The 4th PA Battalion/ 5th PA Rgt had an infantry company armed with
        rifles under Capt.Church in 1775.

        John Godzieba
        5th PA Rgt, Light Inf.

      • Justin
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 28, 2004
          Mr. Cecere,

          I know you are looking around for American units. However, I could
          not help but direct you to a very professional rifle unit, albeit
          British. I wish to direct your interest to a unit that served from
          1777-1783 under Lt. Col. Carl Adolph Christoph von Kreutzbourg, his
          most Serene Highness' Hesse Hanau Jäger Corps: www.hanaujager.com
          We constantly get into a rumble and tussle with the American riflemen
          ourselves. Just to give you a glimpse into what we do: bodyguard
          (for Lt. Col. Watt of the Yorkers), skirmishing, scouting, sniping,
          and plugging holes in the line when it hits the fan. We pride
          ourselves after every battle if every British unit has seen us up
          close (which means we move around frequently) Yes I know you are
          looking for Americans, but hey, we wear green, red, and black, very
          stylish. ;-) Okay, selfless promotion is over, good luck with your
          search. Look out though, a Jäger might have you in his sights at 200
          yards.

          Your most humble servant,
          Jäger Justin Boggess
          Hornist, Hesse Hanau Jäger Corps
          www.hanaujager.com

        • Stephen
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 29, 2004
            Mike,

            Take it from one who has been both hunter and hunted(by your rifles),
            once in the woods you will never want to come out. It's
            definitely "habitat" forming. Who said addiction can't be fun? Come
            over to the light and play with Santa's Evil elves a couple of times

            Steve
            2nd Korps Hesse-Kassel Jagers
          • Joyce & Mike Barbieri
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 29, 2004
              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <leatherscout@y...> wrote:

              > once in the woods you will never want to come out.

              With the elimination of "want to," that's what happens to our
              opposition.

              > It's definitely "habitat" forming. Who said addiction can't be fun?

              Ain't that the truth! It's quite the adrenaline rush to work woods
              and brush where you can't see the "enemy"--or much better--they can't
              see you. I'm sure you'll agree, Steve, that even if you never fire a
              shot it's still a ball (Get it?...Shot = Ball?...Fun = Ball? Sorry.).

              Mike Barbieri
              Whitcomb's Corps--using muskets and Howe's, by the way
            • Stephen
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 30, 2004
                --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Joyce & Mike Barbieri"
                <ottercreek@v...> wrote:

                > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <leatherscout@y...> wrote:
                >
                > > once in the woods you will never want to come out.
                >
                > With the elimination of "want to," that's what happens to our
                > opposition.

                NOw do you northern boys really want to challenge a group of good
                ole'corn fed southern boys in the woods, that portray one of the best
                rifle unit of the rightful forces of light? Especailly when they have
                an Irishman dressed in his favorite colors?;)

                Which leads me to a general question the goes along with a previous
                post. Is there any place that does a woods tactical, anywhere large
                enough to actually pull off Rifles/lights vs jagers/lights? WOuld any
                of these type of units want to try something like this? It would have
                to be centrally located so we could get both northern and southern
                units together.I would think it would be a great experience for all.
                Nothing like loading a rifle in the dark, in the woods with chiggers
                and all. Nothing sez fun like a small case of posion ivy... Heck we
                could even invite a couple of targets,oops I mean line units also;)

                Steve
                aka Seamus O'Doyle, Hornist
                2nd Korps Hesse-Kassel jagers
              • Brett & Ian Osborn
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 31, 2004
                  Mike,
                  Sorry for the late response, but I've just started catching up on the
                  Revlist postings.
                  One battle/event that I did not see mentioned and was surprised no
                  one mentioned was George Rogers Clark's battle at Vincennes. To
                  quote Pat O'Kelley in a posting he did last year, "Clark took the
                  fort, even though he was outnumbered, by using firepower of the
                  rifles and by using deception..." Pat even had an ancestor with
                  Clark.
                  Of interest on this topic was a posting by Mr. Josef Kleffmann, on
                  the NWTA website of a weapons list for Captain Todd's company of the
                  Illinois Regiment. The source was the Viginia State papers of George
                  Roger Clark.
                  Both rifles and muskets issued within one company.
                  Each of the weapons was numbered with a stamp, meaning they were not
                  privately owned.
                  There were 13 rifles and 5 muskets issued to Captain Todd's company
                  of 28 men.
                  There was a receipt for these arms in the Draper Collection Series J,
                  George Rogers Clark papers. The rifles cost 78 pounds and the
                  muskets cost 30 pounds.
                  Not mentioned in this source is the fact that Clark was supplied by
                  Spanish sources. He is known to have received Spanish arms for this
                  expedition.
                  Think Clark's rifleman are worthy of consideration.
                  Very Respectfully,
                  Brett Osborn
                  Georgia Refugees