Gist's Virginia Regiment

  • Sgt42RHR@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2004
      I sent the following query the other day, but I'm not sure it came through.
      In the interim I've found out about E. M. Sanchez-Saavedra. A Guide to
      Virginia Military Organizations in the American Revolution, 1774-1787. 1978,
      reprinted Westminster, Md.: Willow Bend Books, 2001 as one source of information
      on Gist's Virginia regiment. Other tidbits I've picked up are that when
      Gist's regiment was first authorized it was to be a special light infantry
      regiment. I also found that the regiment surrendered at Charleston. Not much
      else--not sure of good sources to go to to find out more. I've run across several
      genealogical references to folks who were in Lapsley's company of Gist's
      Virginia regiment.

      One of my ancestors, Humphrey Montgomery, born about 1750; served with his
      father in Capt. John Campbell's militia (may have been in Pennsylvannia at
      that time); shortly after this tour of duty he visited relatives on the
      Calf-pasture in Rockbridge County, the Gays and Ramseys; and then became a member
      of Capt. Samuel Lapsley's militia company in Col. Nathaniel Gist's Virginia
      Regiment.
      Could anyone please direct me to references where I could read more about
      Capt. John Campbell's militia or about Capt. Samuel Lapsley's militia
      company, or about Col. Nathaniel Gist's Virginia Regiment. Any leads would be
      appreciated greatly!

      Cheers,
      John

      John M. Johnston
      42d Grenr. Compy.
      "There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness." Dave Barry.