Re: Monmouth Questions

  • ju_rees18938
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2004
      Mike,

      No one knows for sure what unit(s) the cannon belonged to, though it
      is possible they belonged to Woodford's Brigade. Of course, only 2
      cannon were assigned to each brigade. Two may have been from
      Woodford, the other two possibly from the NC Brigade, or Poor's
      Brigade, the other organizations originally under Greene's Right Wing
      command.

      According to Washington he "ordered General Poor with his own and the
      Carolina Brigade [1st and 2nd North Carolina Regiments], to move
      round upon their Right, and General Woodford upon their left, and the
      Artillery to gall them in front: The Troops advanced with great
      spirit to execute their orders But the impediments in their way
      prevented their getting within reach before it was dark." So, no,
      they never saw action.

      And, another no, there was never a British attack on Combs Hill.

      Cheers,

      John Rees