Virginia in Charleston

  • Patrick J OKelley
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2004
      Howdy,

      >My question (FINALLY) is:
      >How were the VIrginia units organized in Charleston?

      Get my book (big plug). It has the order of battle for these
      guys, and some details of what was going on in the line.
      To sum it up the 2nd Virginia Brigade under Parker consisted of
      the 1st and 2nd Virginia Detachments.
      The 1st Virginia Brigade, under Woodford, consisted of the 1st
      Virginia Regiment (Russell), 2nd Virginia Regiment (Neville), and 3rd
      Virginia Regiment (Gist).

      >I'm trying to tell the story of the 7th Virginia's
      >role, but suspect that
      >they lost their identity when they went to Charleston

      I think most of the 7th VA ended up with the 3rd Virginia
      Detachment, under Buford, and didn't make it to Charleston. The ones who
      did make it to Charleston most likely ended up in the 1st Virginia
      Regiment (Russell's).

      >Anyone know WHERE in the line they served?

      Parker's Virginians were to the left of the line, on the left of
      the Hornwork. The Virginia State Artillery was in the Half moon battery,
      on the left of the line, and in front of it. Virginians would have
      protected them.
      Woodford's 1st Virginia Brigade was placed directly to the left
      and right of the Hornwork, making it the most heavily defended spot on
      the line.

      >> Did they participate in any sorties ?

      There was only one sortie. On April 24th 300 men from Hogun's
      North Carolinians, Parker's and Woodford's Virginians and 21 South
      Carolinians, went forward in a silent bayonet attack.

      Patrick O'Kelley
      http://www.2nc.org/
      Author of "Nothing but Blood and Slaughter" The Revolutionary War in the
      Carolinas
      Available at Volume One 1771-1779
      http://www.booklocker.com/books/1469.html
      Volume Two 1780