Re: [Revlist] Black Sea Service muskets

  • Sgt42RHR@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 28, 2004
      Patrick, if that's the case then you did not use real japanning or apply it
      properly. Real japanning is hard as a rock and will not soften in heat. All
      of my woodworking planes have Japanned beds, most are in the 1910 range, and
      the japanning is still as hard as a rock. In fact, one has to work like a
      dog to get it off. If you want real japanning, I can get you sources--as well
      as instructions for proper application (it takes baking at low heat for a
      while).

      Cheers,
      John

      Let me wave you away from that idea. I picked up a Sea Service
      musket from Loyalist Arms last summer. Its a pretty nice piece and
      I've fired it both live and blank since then. After I bought it, I
      japanned the whole thing. Cool, eh?
      I found out there is a reason they didn't japan stuff, except for
      use way out at sea. I carried this thing to Brattonsville (a hot
      event). By the end of the event I was covered in black goo, that
      had melted off. I then also found out that any oils or cleaners
      will further take off the japanning. Yuck!
      As soon as I got home I took off all the japanning.
      Its a lot better now.

      John M. Johnston
      42d Grenr. Compy.
      "There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness." Dave Barry.