Battle of Newtown

  • tuch1973
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 25, 2004
      The following passages have been transcribed from a volume of books
      printed in the late 19th and early 20th century. The series
      contains articles, advertisements, letter extracts, numerous
      runaway adds, and government documents relating to New Jersey. They
      were taken from various newspapers printed in NJ and in other area
      papers. In some instances taken from Tory and British papers. I
      kept intake the exact spellings and grammar mechanics for historical
      accuracy. This volume and several others spanning the 1770's and
      early 1780's are in my possession.
      Steve Santucci 2nd New Jersey Regiment, Helm's Co.

      Documents relating to the Revolutionary History of the State of New
      Jersey. Vol. III. 1779, Trenton, NJ, 1906.

      Extract of a letter from Camp, six miles from Chemung, August 3oth,
      1779.
      "Yesterday about 12 o'clock we left Chemung with our whole
      army and its apparatus. After marching about three miles our
      advanced party was fired on by a small party of Indians – Our men
      returned the fire and dispersed the enemy in a few minutes- General
      Sullivan suspecting a large body to be near, ordered a halt, and,
      after giving the different departments the necessary orders,
      detached parties to reconnoiter, who at their return reported that
      the enemy were strongly fortified on the west side of a creek that
      runs into the Caiuga branch. The General ordered General Hand's
      Brigade to form in their front, General Maxwell's to stand as a
      corps de reserve, General Poor's and General Clinton's to endeavour
      to gain the enemy's left flank, and Col. Proctor to begin a
      cannonade obliquely, to amuse them. They shortly left their works
      in great disorder, and attempting to gain the summit of a high hill
      to their left, fell in with General Poor's brigade, with whom they
      had a severe scattering engagement- They were in a little time
      precipitately scattered and our troops in hot pursuit of them.
      During the action, which continued from two to five o'clock in the
      afternoon, we had three men killed and about 30 wounded one of whom
      since dead of his wound; they had 11 killed and scalped, besides one
      squaw, their wounded unknown. We took two prisoners, both painted
      tories, a set of coulours, a number of blankets and other plunder.
      The famous or rather infamous Butler and Brant were their leaders.
      We hope this small stroke will soften their savage courage, and make
      them approach men fighting for their country with proper dread" (606-
      607).

      Extracts of two letters dated at Major General Sullivan's Head-
      Quarters on Tioga, August 30, 1779, to a gentlemen in Easton.
      "Yesterday a general action ensued, in which the Indians and
      Tories got completely routed. The conflict was long, and I believe
      on their part bloody, tho' only 11 dead bodies were found upon the
      field; they, I suppose, would not have been left, if our troops had
      not pursued them at the point of the bayonet. Our loss was but
      trifling: I think 5 or 6 were killed, and between 40 or 50 wounded.
      The cannonade on our part was elegant, and gave the Indians such
      panick, that they fled with great precipitation from the field. ---
      One Tory and one Negro were taken prisoner, who gave information
      that their whole force was collected here. --- This settlement is
      routed root and branch, all houses burnt, and corn-fields destroyed."
      "I have just time to inform you, that on Sunday morning
      last, our advanced parties discovered the enemy's breast-works
      between Chemung and Newtown; they immediately gave intelligence.
      The enemy's right flank was secured by the river, and their left
      flank by a high hill. General Poor's brigade was immediately
      ordered to wheel off, and endeavour to gain their left flank, and,
      if possible, to surround them, whilst our artillery and main body
      attacked them in front; they stood a hot cannonade for more than two
      hours, but upon their discovering the intention of surrounding them,
      the retreat hallo was given, and they retreated with the utmost
      precipitation, leaving their packs, a number of scalping knives,
      tomahawks, &c., behind them. We pursued them upwards of 2 miles,
      took 2 prisoners, 1 white man and 1 negro. They crossed the river,
      and carried off a number of killed and wounded, as we found by their
      tracks of blood, and 2 canoes which we found covered with blood. I
      saw 8 of their warriors scalps taken on the spot, and I just heard
      of 14 more dead Indians, that were found hid with leaves. Their
      breast works were artfully and strongly made, constructed with logs,
      and blinds made with boughs, and extended upwards of a mile. The
      party was headed by Butler and Brant, and consisted, by the best
      intelligence we can get, of about 600 Indians, and 200 Tories"(607-
      608).

      Extract of a letter from an officer in the western army, commanded
      by Major-General Sullivan, dated Konadasagea, September 9, 1779.

      "Since the action of the 29th of last month, the Indians
      have fled at the approach of our army, and left their settlements to
      our mercy,----New Town, konowarhala, French Katherines, Candai,
      Skayes, Gaghseonghwa, and Konadasagea, are great heaps of ruin;
      besides these we have burnt a number of scattering houses; and
      destroyed a large country of corn, pumpkins, cymblines, cucumbers,
      water-melons, peaches and apples.
      "This day we shall set out for Genesee, and lay that country
      in ashes. The enemy having retired to Niagara we expect no
      opposition as we advance, but expect an attack as we return" (649).

      CHATHAM, October 5, 1779.
      Extract of a letter from an officer in the Jersey brigade,
      dated Konadasagea, Sept. 8---We arrived at this place about sun-set
      last night, which is 230 miles from Easton, and is one of the
      largest towns in the Seneca country. The Indians keep a days march
      before us, and have not attempted to fight us since the 29th of
      August. We expect to march for Genessee to morrow, which is the
      next largest town, and about fifty miles further, when we expect to
      begin our retreat, and make the best of our way back. Our troops
      are very healthy; but one man has died out of our brigade"(663).
    • tuch1973

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 18, 2007
          ATTENTION CONTINENTAL FORCES. If your unit has not as of yet registered for
          the upcoming Battle of Newtown near Elmira New York, now is the time to
          register. The date is August 25th and 26th. There will be woods battles
          solely for the units on both days in the forest around the site; as well as
          a battle each day for the public. There are a number of great sutlers a
          fashion show and other events for all to enjoy. If you want to experience
          woods fighting at its best, this is one to attend. Please contact Paul
          Perine, Event Chairman at: psperine@... or contact me at
          Lt_gorecki@...

        • Larry Maxwell
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 27, 2007
            Have Dates been set for Newtown 2008?
            Dr. Larry A. Maxwell, 4th NY
          • Joyce Bucci
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 31, 2007
              Dr. Maxwell,

              Traditionally, our Newtown event is held on the last weekend in August -- the one closest to the anniversary of the battle (August 29th). However, this year that falls on Labor Day Weekend. We have a board meeting scheduled for Wednesday evening, the 2nd. I will bring this up before the board for discussion as to whether to move it to the preceding weekend. Stay tuned!

              Joyce Bucci, Board Member
              Chemung Valley Living History Center
              Newtown Battlefield State Park, Elmira, NY

              To: Revlist@yahoogroups.comFrom: Patriot1775@...: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:18:50 -0500Subject: [Revlist] Battle of Newtown 2008?

              Have Dates been set for Newtown 2008?Dr. Larry A. Maxwell, 4th NY

            • W. Scott Smith
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 31, 2007
                Joyce,

                We'd be interested in more information about this event. If memory serves,
                one of our chainmen was killed while working for Lt. Benjamin Lodge, a
                surveyor from a Pennsylvania Regiment and under the command of Geographer to
                the Army Robert Erskine.

                We are in the process of putting togedther our 2008 calendar at this time.

                W. Scott Smith
                Department of the Geographer to the Army, 1777-1783
                www.armygeographer.org

                --

                W. Scott Smith, Managing Partner
                The Antiquaries, LC

              • Joyce Bucci
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 31, 2007
                  Thanks for your interest! You can go to www.chemungvalley.org to take a look at some information
                  about last year's event, as well as photos from previous events. Click on the link to Schedule of
                  Events for 2007.

                  It is a nice little event that usually draws between 100 and 150 re-enactors, and we would love to have more.
                  It is held at Newtown Battlefield State Park, which sits atop a hill that overlooks the original battlefield area.
                  The park is very rustic and picturesque, with a wooded battlefield that re-enactors love.

                  The park has bathroom and shower facilities, and extra port-a-johns are provided in the camp areas.
                  Firewood and water are provided. Native re-enactors are allowed to camp within the Indian Village.
                  Saturday evening festivities include a gratis supper and a Tavern in the beautiful, rustic lodge.

                  As soon as we finalize the date, I will post a notice.

                  Joyce
                  ________________________________

                  To: Revlist@yahoogroups.com
                  From: scott@...
                  Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 10:42:16 -0500
                  Subject: Re: [Revlist] Battle of Newtown 2008?

                  --

                  W. Scott Smith, Managing Partner
                  The Antiquaries, LC
                  Historical Research & Consulting
                  P.O. Box 75, Lynchburg, VA 24505
                  Home Office 434-528-3995
                  Mobile 434-401-3995
                  www.theantiquaries.com

                • Glenn Williams
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 1, 2008
                    Scott,

                    Right campaign - wrong engagement.

                    Actually the chainman was killed in the engagement now called the "Groveland Ambuscade," about two weeks later in the campaign. He was actually not in the ambuscade of Lt. Boyd's reconnaissance force, but was just ahead of the advance guard as the army's main body was bridging the morass south of Conesus Lake, on the approach to Little Beards Town.

                    The plan of Butler's Rangers and their Indian allies, as it was at Newtown, was to ambush Sullivan's advance guard while the main body was not yet in position to support. And like at Newtown, the plan was also foiled by the surprise appearance of American troops on his flank.

                    Boyd heard the drums of Hand's Light Corps sounding the alarm in response to the sporadic fire directed against the survey party during which a chainman was mortally wounded. Boyd was moving to rejoin the army from his scout of the night before. The Boyd patrol's appearance caused the Rangers and Indians to initiate too early, and redirect their effort against it. When Butler heard the firing and received messages from Indian runners on his right flank, he initially thought his plan had been detected, and he was in danger of being surrounded. Butler ordered a retreat, with his vaunted Rangers abandoning what one American officer described as a "wagon load" of arms, equipment and supplies in their haste. Timothy Murphy, then a sergeant in the Rifle Corps, was on the patrol, but made it back to friendly lines with a number of others.

                    Best Regards,

                    Glenn

                    --

                    W. Scott Smith, Managing Partner
                    The Antiquaries, LC
                    Historical Research & Consulting
                    P.O. Box 75, Lynchburg, VA 24505
                    Home Office 434-528-3995
                    Mobile 434-401-3995
                    www.theantiquaries.com

                  • stephenguenther
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 31, 2008
                      What are some good books to read on this? Is there any on the British
                      views/accounts?

                      I live near the battlefield and would like to learn about it before
                      the re-enactment this August....

                      steve
                    • Bill Baldwin
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 31, 2008
                        Hello,
                        Check "Year of the Hangman" by Glen F. Williams,ISBN 1-59416-013-9
                        Westholme Pub.Co.
                        No doubt Half.com has a few copies.Good read.
                        WB

                        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "stephenguenther" <stephenguenther@...>
                        wrote:

                        > What are some good books to read on this? Is there any on the
                        British
                        > views/accounts?
                        >
                        > I live near the battlefield and would like to learn about it before
                        > the re-enactment this August....
                        >
                        > steve

                      • rev1005
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 31, 2008
                          Mjr Smith,

                          Sorry this posting is longish, but for more on Newtown, yu may find in reports etc of
                          Sullivans march.

                          Cook, Frederick, Journals of the Military Expedition of Major General John Sullivan Against
                          the Six Nations of Indians in 1799, New York, 1885. (Reprint by Heritage Books, Bowie,
                          MD., 2000)
                          Journals Referenced: Hubley, Adam, Lieutenant Col, 11th PA Rgt.
                          Rogers, Rev. William, Chaplain, Hand's Brigade
                          Shute, Samuel, Lieutenant, Second New Jersey
                          McKendry, William, Quartermaster, Sixth Mass. Regt.
                          Beatty, Erkuries, Lieutenant, 4th Penn Line
                          Jenkins, John, Lieutenant, (No unit given, listed as a guide for the Army.)
                          Burrowes, John, Major, 5th New Jersey
                          Grant, George, Sergeant Major, 3rd New Jersey
                          Dearborn, Henry, Lieutenant Col, 3rd New Hampshire (Scammel's) Regiment
                          Fellows, Moses, Sergeant, 3rd New Hampshire Regiment
                          Norris, James, Major, 3rd New Hampshire Regiment
                          Sullivan, John, Major General. (Note: This were not journals, but the reports sent to Gen
                          Washington, {Newtown, Aug 30,1779} And Congress {Expedition, Sept. 30, 1779})

                          Merrifield, Edward, Luke Swetland's Captivity and Rescue From the Indians, Scranton, PA,
                          1915 (Reprint by Wennawoods Publishing, Lewisburg, PA., 1998.)

                          I remain, your Humbl & most Obdt Svnt,
                          Chas Vincent
                          above shirtees Creek at Ft Pitt
                          'they have a saying here: Pensylvania is heaven for farmers, paradise for artisans, and
                          hell for officials and preachers.'

                          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "W. Scott Smith" <scott@...> wrote:
                          > We'd be interested in more information about this event. If memory serves,
                          > one of our chainmen was killed while working for Lt. Benjamin Lodge, a
                          > surveyor from a Pennsylvania Regiment and under the command of Geographer to
                          > the Army Robert Erskine.
                        • stephenguenther
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 31, 2008
                            I looke don half.com and amazon.com and it looks to be a litte cheaper
                            on amazon. Now is that historic fiction, or is it non-fiction?
                            (primary source?)

                            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Baldwin" <wcflevers@...> wrote:

                            > Hello,
                            > Check "Year of the Hangman" by Glen F. Williams,ISBN 1-59416-013-
                            9
                            > Westholme Pub.Co.
                            > No doubt Half.com has a few copies.Good read.
                            > WB

                          • bdodgeweaver
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 31, 2008
                              wrote:

                              > What are some good books to read on this? Is there any on the
                              British views/accounts? . . . steve

                              Dear Steve - To tie up some of the various suggestions, Frederick
                              Cook's collection has most of the known American primary sources in one
                              place, and Glenn Williams' book "Year of the Hangman" is reportedly
                              quite good (both already suggested). There is also another book,
                              somewhat older than Glenn's, entitled "A Well Executed Failure."
                              Finally, if you want something handy that is accessible from the
                              internet, take a look at the website of Selin's Independent Company,
                              which I recall has several accounts of the battle.

                              Hope this helps - Thad Weaver, German Rt.

                              (PS - These are all non-fiction)
                            • jbsmith@epix.net
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
                                Members,
                                John Jenkins was a Continental Officer who left the Wyoming Valley
                                and the 24th Connecticut Militia Regiment to join the Continental
                                Line. He was back in the Wyoming Valley for the Wyoming Massacre on
                                July 3, 1778. He was captured by Butler's Rangers before the Battle
                                when Jenkin Fort surrendered and was paroled. Before Forty-Fort
                                surrendered on July 4th he and Zebulon Butler, another Line officer,
                                took off on horseback so that they would not be captured. He came
                                back to the Valley with the Hartley Expedition and then as a guide for
                                the Sullivan Expedition with other men from the 24th Connecticut
                                Militia Regiment.
                                "And now you know the rest of the story." - Paul Harvey
                                Jeff Smith
                                Quoting rev1005 <vincetc@...>:

                                > Mjr Smith,
                                >
                                > Sorry this posting is longish, but for more on Newtown, yu may find
                                > in reports etc of
                                > Sullivans march.
                                >

                                > Cook, Frederick, Journals of the Military Expedition of Major
                                > General John Sullivan Against
                                > the Six Nations of Indians in 1799, New York, 1885. (Reprint by
                                > Heritage Books, Bowie,
                                > MD., 2000)
                                > Journals Referenced: Hubley, Adam, Lieutenant Col, 11th PA Rgt.
                                > Rogers, Rev. William, Chaplain, Hand's Brigade
                                > Shute, Samuel, Lieutenant, Second New Jersey
                                > McKendry, William, Quartermaster, Sixth Mass. Regt.
                                > Beatty, Erkuries, Lieutenant, 4th Penn Line
                                > Jenkins, John, Lieutenant, (No unit given, listed as a guide for the Army.)
                                > Burrowes, John, Major, 5th New Jersey
                                > Grant, George, Sergeant Major, 3rd New Jersey
                                > Dearborn, Henry, Lieutenant Col, 3rd New Hampshire (Scammel's) Regiment
                                > Fellows, Moses, Sergeant, 3rd New Hampshire Regiment
                                > Norris, James, Major, 3rd New Hampshire Regiment
                                > Sullivan, John, Major General. (Note: This were not journals, but
                                > the reports sent to Gen
                                > Washington, {Newtown, Aug 30,1779} And Congress {Expedition, Sept. 30, 1779})
                                >
                                > Merrifield, Edward, Luke Swetland's Captivity and Rescue From the
                                > Indians, Scranton, PA,
                                > 1915 (Reprint by Wennawoods Publishing, Lewisburg, PA., 1998.)
                                >
                                > I remain, your Humbl & most Obdt Svnt,
                                > Chas Vincent
                                > above shirtees Creek at Ft Pitt
                                > 'they have a saying here: Pensylvania is heaven for farmers,
                                > paradise for artisans, and
                                > hell for officials and preachers.'
                                >
                                > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "W. Scott Smith" <scott@...> wrote:
                                >> We'd be interested in more information about this event. If memory serves,
                                >> one of our chainmen was killed while working for Lt. Benjamin Lodge, a
                                >> surveyor from a Pennsylvania Regiment and under the command of Geographer to
                                >> the Army Robert Erskine.

                              • Bill Baldwin
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
                                  Hello,
                                  Yes,beware that there is indeed a FICTIONAL novel by the author
                                  Blackwood of the same title.You should consider the finely done
                                  historically accurate account by Glenn L. Williams with the sub-
                                  title "George Washington's Campaign Against the Iroquois"
                                  Familiarity with the Iroquios Confederacy and Loyalist activity is
                                  essential and well presented.
                                  <stephenguenther@...> wrote:

                                  > I looke don half.com and amazon.com and it looks to be a litte
                                  cheaper
                                  > on amazon. Now is that historic fiction, or is it non-fiction?
                                  > (primary source?)
                                  >
                                  > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Baldwin" <wcflevers@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hello,
                                  > > Check "Year of the Hangman" by Glen F. Williams,ISBN 1-59416-
                                  013-
                                  > 9
                                  > > Westholme Pub.Co.
                                  > > No doubt Half.com has a few copies.Good read.
                                  > > WB

                                • ctoakes
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
                                    <<<<<<<
                                    Battle of Newtown Posted by: "stephenguenther" stephenguenther@... stephenguenther
                                    Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:36 am (PDT) What are some good books to read on this? Is there any on the British
                                    views/accounts?I live near the battlefield and would like to learn about it before
                                    the re-enactment this August....steve>>>>>>>>>>>
                                    Good day Steve, One of the local historical societies reprinted the Journals of the campaign and it is usually available at the event. All Continental but worth the reading. There is a little bit of info in Mary Jamesons journal which is on line, search for White Woman of the Genesee. And Butlers letters talk about it but I have yet to see a reprint of those. Year of the Hangman is a good book as is Forgotten Allies which is the story of the Oneidas' that fought with the Continentals.

                                    Y.M.O.S.

                                    C. T. Oakes
                                    585-226-6797

                                  • thirdnewhampshire
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
                                      You can also find a pdf version of the Sullivan Journals with a Google
                                      Book search.

                                      Sandy Walker
                                    • Glenn Williams
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
                                        Dear Friends and Fellow Historians,

                                        Bill and C. T., thanks for the kind words and mentioning "Year of the Hangman: George Washington's Campaign Against the Iroquois " (Westholme 2005) by yours truly.

                                        It is about the war on the frontier from 1777 to 1779, with the Sullivan-Clinton and Brodhead Expeditions as its climax. You may be interested to note that my working title was "Not Merely Overrun But Destroy," from Washington's orders to Sullivan. It's a long story that I will spare everyone of on how the "Hangman" title came about. The fictional book, by the way, is "THE Year of the Hangman," whereas mine does not have "THE". Also, my middle initial, by the way, is "F".

                                        I relied on primary source documentation, British as well as American, both Continental and Militia, and civil government; in addition to captivity narratives, equally accessing well known and not so well known, and both pro-British ones such as the "White Seneca" Mary Jemison's, and pro-American ones, like that of Luke Swetland, who was grateful to be liberated from the Seneca by Sullivan's troops - and who related the effect on the morale on the Indian warriors and Butler's Rangers that is greatly at odds with the assessments of John Butler and Joseph Brant.

                                        Of the Continentals, although I used the collection published by Cook, I found a number of journals, diaries and personal papers not found in that publication, but in other repositories, like the New York Public Library and Pennsylvania Archives. Surprisingly, I also found that many of the Crown sources do not agree with some of the often repeated misperceptions about the Sullivan expedition that abound in other narratives of the event (both by some American authors, as well as Cruickshank's oft-cited "history" of Butler's Rangers), and which supported my thesis that the campaign accomplished all its assigned missions,. The British sources also confirmed its success and overall effectiveness!

                                        The best Crown accounts are to be found in the Haldimand Papers copies/ transcripts of Archives Canada.

                                        See: http://hnn.us/roundup/entries/48644.html No, I did not write the article on the link.

                                        Best Regards,

                                        Glenn

                                        ctoakes <ctoakes@...> wrote:
                                        <<<<<<<
[...]

                                      • marysvr
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
                                          History, non-fiction.

                                          --Mary S.

                                          <stephenguenther@...> wrote:

                                          > I looke don half.com and amazon.com and it looks to be a litte
                                          cheaper
                                          > on amazon. Now is that historic fiction, or is it non-fiction?
                                          > (primary source?)
                                          >
                                          > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Baldwin" <wcflevers@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Hello,
                                          > > Check "Year of the Hangman" by Glen F. Williams,ISBN 1-59416-
                                          013-
                                          > 9
                                          > > Westholme Pub.Co.
                                          > > No doubt Half.com has a few copies.Good read.
                                          > > WB

                                        • Glenn Williams
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 22, 2008
                                            Major Smith,

                                            Forgive the length of time for this reply, but to do so had slipped my mind.

                                            I believe John Jenkins was an ensign in the militia at the time of his capture while leading a scout up the Susquehanna in October 1777. The two Wyoming Independent Companies had been ordered to join the Main Army in December 1776, and the home defense company of Captain Dethic Hewitt - militia in the pay of Congress for a one-year term of active service - was not formed until May or June 1778, about the time Jenkins returned to the valley. If memory serves, I believe the records show that he became an officer in that company on his return, and thus entered Continental service.

                                            Because they were in the pay of Congress, they were considered in some respects Continentals - and are described as such in some primary source accounts. Although paid at the same rate as Continentals, however, they were required to provide their own weapons and accouterments. Congress later authorized the payment of stipend for doing so.

                                            I believe in my research, the records show that Jenkins was taken to Fort Niagara after capture for the winter of 1777-78, but escaped when being moved to Canadesega, at about the same time Major John Butler was meeting there with the principal Iroquois war leaders to plan the attack on the Wyoming Valley.

                                            Jenkins arrived back in the Wyoming in June (I believe) 1778, just before Butlers Rangers and their Indian allies launched their attack, and joined Hewitt's company. And he did command the stay-behind garrison at Forty Fort during the fateful engagement of 3 July, due to his reduced physical condition resulting from the ordeal of his escape. If memory serves, he then escaped with Zebulon Butler and the surviving Continentals (and militia in the pay of Congress) just before Colonel Dennison surrendered to John Butler on 4 July, and joined the reconstituted Wyoming Independent Company, and Continental Army, at that time.

                                            Best Regards,

                                            Glenn

                                            Quoting rev1005 <vincetc@...>:

                                            > Mjr Smith,
                                            >
                                            > Sorry this posting is longish, but for more on Newtown, yu may find
                                            > in reports etc of
                                            > Sullivans march.
                                            >

                                            > Cook, Frederick, Journals of the Military Expedition of Major
                                            > General John Sullivan Against
                                            > the Six Nations of Indians in 1799, New York, 1885. (Reprint by
                                            > Heritage Books, Bowie,
                                            > MD., 2000)
                                            > Journals Referenced: Hubley, Adam, Lieutenant Col, 11th PA Rgt.
                                            > Rogers, Rev. William, Chaplain, Hand's Brigade
                                            > Shute, Samuel, Lieutenant, Second New Jersey
                                            > McKendry, William, Quartermaster, Sixth Mass. Regt.
                                            > Beatty, Erkuries, Lieutenant, 4th Penn Line
                                            > Jenkins, John, Lieutenant, (No unit given, listed as a guide for the Army.)
                                            > Burrowes, John, Major, 5th New Jersey
                                            > Grant, George, Sergeant Major, 3rd New Jersey
                                            > Dearborn, Henry, Lieutenant Col, 3rd New Hampshire (Scammel's) Regiment
                                            > Fellows, Moses, Sergeant, 3rd New Hampshire Regiment
                                            > Norris, James, Major, 3rd New Hampshire Regiment
                                            > Sullivan, John, Major General. (Note: This were not journals, but
                                            > the reports sent to Gen
                                            > Washington, {Newtown, Aug 30,1779} And Congress {Expedition, Sept. 30, 1779})
                                            >
                                            > Merrifield, Edward, Luke Swetland's Captivity and Rescue From the
                                            > Indians, Scranton, PA,
                                            > 1915 (Reprint by Wennawoods Publishing, Lewisburg, PA., 1998.)
                                            >
                                            > I remain, your Humbl & most Obdt Svnt,
                                            > Chas Vincent
                                            > above shirtees Creek at Ft Pitt
                                            > 'they have a saying here: Pensylvania is heaven for farmers,
                                            > paradise for artisans, and
                                            > hell for officials and preachers.'
                                            >
                                            > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "W. Scott Smith" <scott@...> wrote:
                                            >> We'd be interested in more information about this event. If memory serves,
                                            >> one of our chainmen was killed while working for Lt. Benjamin Lodge, a
                                            >> surveyor from a Pennsylvania Regiment and under the command of Geographer to
                                            >> the Army Robert Erskine.

                                          • Joyce Bucci
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 3, 2011
                                              This is a reminder to all units who are interested in participating in the Battle of Newtown Rev War event, August 27 & 28. If you are planning to attend, you need to register as soon as possible so that we can have a good idea of numbers. Even if Delos Wheeler and Paul Perine have been told verbally that you are coming, we still need for you to put through a registration. We have about 260 or so registered, so far. We'd sure like to see more!

                                              To register, go to www.chemungvalley.org and click on the link to the registration form. Please be sure to fill it out completely, including your contact information.

                                              Also, we have been contacted by Rich King Casting, of Los Angeles, California. They have been hired to cast the upcoming movie being produced by the Oneida Nation, titled "First Allies." They are looking for military for both sides, and for Native warriors. Rich King is planning to be at our event to talk with re-enactors and to observe a re-enactment. Being from Los Angeles, he has never seen one. There will be no filming... just looking for cast members. If anyone is interested in trying out for this movie, you can come to our event and talk to him personally. I would suggest that you bring along photos of yourself in period dress, including a head shot. Or he can be contacted at 323-993-0100, or emailed at richkingcasting@.... His website is: http://www.richkingcasting.net/index.php

                                              Thanks!
                                              Joyce Bucci
                                              Chemung Valley Living History

                                            • ebolton123
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 3, 2011
                                                Joyce,
                                                I just registered the Associators. Looking forward to it !
                                                Cheers,
                                                Bob Bolton
                                                Pa. Associators

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 17, 2011
                                                  For those units who have registered for the Battle of Newtown Rev War event --

                                                  Please be aware that the entrance to Newtown Battlefield State Park has changed, due to the construction of I-86. The online maps do not reflect this change, and it's doubtful that your GPS will. From Rte 17 -- which is becoming I-86 -- you must take exit 58, the Lowman exit. This will put you onto the brand new service road that will take you to the park entrance. This is the only way into the park, at this point. Unfortunately, the state has not gotten any new signage up yet, except for a couple of small signs that you can't see until after you have taken the exit ramp, so it's very easy to miss it if you don't know what to do.

                                                  For directions and a map, please go here: http://www.chemungvalley.org/Construction%20info.htm

                                                  For those who were there last year, it is the same. But if you haven't attended in a couple years or more, you need to know this. Unit commanders, please make certain that all of your people know about this to avoid someone getting lost and having to drive several miles out of their way to turn around.

                                                  Thanks!
                                                  Joyce Bucci

                                                  To: revlist@yahoogroups.com