Re: [Revlist] wasTent pole question now paint and painting

  • twmoran
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 1, 2004
      On Sunday 01 August 2004 12:50 am, Tim wrote:
      > Paint and painting wares were neither rare nor
      > expensive.
      Expensive is relative here. Yes labor was cheap but not free. When comparing
      the costs of things paint is up there.
      One add for wall paper I found claimed you could paper a room for less than
      the cost of white wash.
      Then comes the volume of poles to be painted.
      Not saying they were or were not painted, we'll have to do some digging.
      Probably in English war office records.

      Something I find interesting is that I have
      > found no period reference to "milk" paint which I was
      > told (by many) was the most common paint.
      I use milk paint on my travel boxes as decoration. Milk paint is more like a
      stain as it does sink into the wood and you can build up layers to get it
      opaque. It does not how ever protect the wood from water. For that you have
      to seal the wood with an other finish.
      It works just fine for interior things like chairs and chests and wood
      chandeliers and the like.
      So perhaps it just isn't listed as paint, in that alone it will not stand up
      to water and weather.

      Tw
    • Sgt42RHR@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 1, 2004
        The square pine poles in one of my tents have been used for 29 years. They
        are completely untreated and unpainted. They are solid as can be, even at the
        bottom where they sit on the ground.

        Cheers,
        John

        John Johnston
        42d. Grenr. Compy.
        "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." Dave Barry

      • davisr1@LEE.ARMY.MIL
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 2, 2004
          To add a few points to the conjecture on the painting of the tent poles.
          Painting the poles for the purpose of preservation is/was not really a
          necessity, depending on the durability of the wood used. You will find that
          the "pup tent" poles (folding), and large tent poles of WWI were issued
          unpainted. The later (sectional) pup ten poles were issued as painted up to
          their last issue. Larger tent poles (squad, general purpose [large &
          small], and hospital) were, for the most part all issued un-painted, and
          steel/iron banded at the top to prevent splitting. This includes side,
          upright, and ridge poles. One will find that the majority were later
          painted OD or NATO green, however (from my long memory) this was done, not
          so much for preservation, but more for cosmetic (inspection) reasons.
          Therein, I would suggest that our period tent poles, if painted, were
          probably not issued as painted poles.

          Bob D.

        • Colleen Humphreys
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 20, 2004