Re: Muskets, where'd they get them?

  • Joyce & Mike Barbieri
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2004
      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Biser" <biser@p...> wrote:
      > Hey List,
      > Here's my question, Pennsylvania raised units for service in the
      fall of
      > 1775, spring of 1776 and summer of 1776. Where did they get their
      muskets?

      Hey Dave,

      Take a look in National Archives, Record Group 93, Manuscript Group
      853 (Numbered Record Boooks) and RG 93, MG 859 (Miscellaneous
      Numbered Records). I don't know about PA but I found several
      references in these collections to my group picking up new and old
      firelocks--along with other goodies.

      Mike Barbieri
      Whitcomb's Corps
    • ju_rees18938
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2004
        Dave,

        I wrote a history of the 5th Pa. Battalion (1776) some years ago and
        looked into this very thing. Muskets were picked up catch as catch
        can, mostly state purchased, but some Continental supplies. I don't
        have that on diak anymore (written 1986) but a copy is on file at the
        David Library of the American Revolution, Wash. Crossing, Pa., and
        U.S. Military History Institute, Carlisle, Pa. Lookinh through my
        manuscipt I see the 5th Battalion colonel was given by Congress 3,000
        dollars in March 1776 to purchase firearms. Not long after Colonel
        Magaw was directed to have pikes made to arm those of his men who had
        no firearms. Some pikes were used by the regiment at Long Island in
        August 1776. In June 1776 the Secret Committee of Congress directed
        that 191 firelocks be delivered to the 5th Battalion at New York.

        I think I have more, but have to run. If interested my email is
        ju_rees@...

        John

        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Joyce & Mike Barbieri"