Re: [Revlist] Light Infantry Drummers Uniforms

  • Andrew De Lisle
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
      Sean,

      Which campaign are you refering to? I ask because the light infantry under Anthony Wayne in 1779 at Stony Point looked quite different form the light infantry down here in VA in 1781. In 1779 most of the Light Infantry Corps were wearing the contract uniforms recieved from france in 1778. There were also a number of them in hunting shirts and many did not have appropriate caps. This forced Wayne to issue an order shortly before the assault on Stony Point telling the men to place a piece of white paper in their hats. To get an idea what most of the lights probably looked like in 1779 check out the 2nd VA's website at www.secondvirginia.org

      Now the Light Infantry Division under Lafayette in 1781 operating in VA look a little different. Most of what I have found describes them as being clothed almost entirely in hunting shirts and overalls. There were some exceptions to this. For example I believe the New York lights had stable jackets (NY people please correct me if I am wrong). From what I have been able to find they all had caps and new black and red feathers in them courtesy of the Marquis. Lafayette also purchased swords for his NCO's and a few other things as well. It is important to remember that these lights were not the same bunch that Wayne had commanded. For example there were a fair amount of Virginia troops in Wayne's command but Lafayette's lights were mostly New Englanders and some New Yorkers.

      Now as for musician's uniforms, I have seen no references so far indicating any thing different from what the rest of the troops were wearing. No reversed colored musician's coats were purchased with the contract uniforms form France, so any distinctive uniform if it happened would probably have been on a regimental or brigade level. I have also seen no reference to distinctive uniforms for musicians in the lights in 1781 either. As for the question of having drummers, yes the lights had fifers and drummers. In fact, Sam Dewees a fifer in the Penn. Line and part of the Light Corps under Wayne in 1779 recalls being at Stony Point in his memoirs if I am not mistaken. I hope this long rambling post is of some use.

      Andrew De Lisle