Re: Those daring young men and their flying kites and such...

  • hm95thfoot
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 5:34 PM
      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Jerry <quills728@y...> wrote:
      > TW,
      >
      > That must have been one strong kite to have a man tied
      > to it. They must have a train of horses to try to
      > pull them up in the sky. Kind of reminds me of those
      > old movies of man's innovative inventions trying to
      > fly. I hope they didnt think they were going to
      > protect London against invasion or bombing.

      Go to http://www.sfcody.org.uk/ and then "kites" and the story of
      kites as observation gondola lifters (many kites are needed to lift
      just one man, BTW) in the British Army around 1900 is throughly
      explained. Fascinating story- SF Cody did much to build friendship
      between the US and the British Empire before WW1- an expat American,
      when he died in 1913, over 50,000 people went to his funeral in
      London. He did much to dispel the long enmity between the two
      countries harking back to the American Revolution.

      Roger Fuller