Re: firkin (was What is a piggin?)

  • Five Rivers
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2004
      > My favorite bucket name is firkin.

      Oh dear. I'm going to sound a know-it-all. :-( A firkin is in fact a
      size of double-headed cask, meaning a size of barrel, and that size depended
      upon the intended use of the cask. A firkin for general tight use is and was
      21" in length, 14" diameter across the head, 17 1/2" diameter in pitch, and
      can hold 9 Imperial gallons. A slight brewer's firkin is 20 1/2" length, 18
      1/2" head diameter 16 1/4" belly diameter, and still can hold 9 Imperial
      gallons. A stout brewer's firkin is the same in dimensions as the slight. It
      should be noted firkins are and were never used for ovals, vinegar, wine,
      sherry, bourbon, port, madiera, marsala, burgundy, claret, white wine, rum,
      hock, whiskey, tar, syrup, ginger or sauce casks.

      If you think there are strange names for cask sizes, you ought to take a
      gander at the names coopers gave to tools. Crowse, knockerup, chintzing
      iron, bick or beak iron, howel, sun plane - I could go on. It is my personal
      opinion after working a hard day in a cooperage, oxygen deprived from the
      smokey interior of the shop, the coopers all went across the street to the
      pub, drank too much strong ale and thought up weird names for their tools as
      they grew less and less coherent.

      Regards
      Lorina
      supplies
      (519) 799-5577, http://www.5rivers.org email: info@...
    • Folds, David
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2004
        <<Oh dear. I'm going to sound a know-it-all. :-( A firkin is in fact a
        > size of double-headed cask, meaning a size of barrel, and that size depended
        > upon the intended use of the cask.>>

        I stand corrected as for the definition of a firkin, but it still is my favorite "container" name.
        Excellent information. Who would've thought someone would know this much about firkins. Huzzah to you Lorina.

        David