Charles Stedman's role in the British Army

  • Roger Fuller
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2004
      Message: 7
      Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:21:25 -0500
      From: "Don N. Hagist" <dhagist@...>
      Subject: What was Charles Stedman's role in the British Army?

      One of the first detailed British histories of the American war is
      Charles Stedman's
      "The History of the Origin, Progress, and Termination of the American
      War (Dublin, 1794).
      Stedman was in the British Army; does anyone know specifically what his
      role was? He does
      not appear to have been a regimental officer.
      (And, if anyone can provide me with a photocopy of his book, I'd be very
      grateful.)
      Don Hagist
      22d Regt. F.

      He was Lord Cornwallis's commissary general, acc. to this passage at
      http://www.kingsownpatriots.org/ncvols.html :

      " In 1794, Charles Stedman, Cornwallis' comissary general, published his account of the "American War." In it he provides what is perhaps the best description of Bryan's "refugees" as they entered Camden."

      Roger Fuller