Re: [Revlist] Re: ZULU

  • JOEWHITNEY@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 1, 2004
      Speaking of Monty Python, this has nothing to do with the Revolutionary
      War, other than it's a subject dear to reenactors of all time periods, but
      Eric Idle is hoping to bring to Broadway in Spring 2005 the musical
      version of the Holy Grail, tentatively titled "Spamelot".

      Of course, they could have spoofed the Revolution, but Mel Gibson beat
      them to it. So we should soon be able to see real live English Knigghets
      running around on stage. It should be quite a treat (oops, I spoke the
      word that cannot be spoken!)

    • Joyce & Mike Barbieri
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "bvogler" <bvogler@k...> wrote:
        > List-
        > Anyone who wants a break from bowl games, the movie "Zulu" is on
        tonight at 8 pm on AMC.

        > "Why us Colour Sergeant, why us?"
        > "Because it's us, lad, just us... no one else."

        To bring this topic back to relevance within this list, at the
        bicentennial of Monmouth, the organizers set up a huge screen to show
        a movie for the participants--we had no idea what movie. About three
        notes of the opening score of "ZULU" came out of the speakers before
        the crowd let out a huge cheer. The next day, as the Crown forces
        column moved past the Americans on their way out to the field, droves
        of us began chanting "Uthulu"--or something to that effect--can't
        remember exactly but it is/was not "Zulu." Great fun!

        Mike Barbieri
        Whitcomb's Corps
      • gstk1776
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
          Dear List,

          For those wondering what ZULU has to do with our period......

          Lieutenant General Sir Gonville Bromhead

          Born 30th September 1758, educated Winchester; entered Army aged 15.
          62nd Foot:
          Ensign - 1st June 1774; Lieutenant - 3rd March 1776 (wounded and
          captured at Saratoga); Captain - 30 May 1786; Lieutenant Colonel -
          26th November 1794 (half pay - 1800).
          126th Foot, Lochaber (Cameron's) Fencible Infantry:
          Colonel - 1st January 1801.
          Major General 25th April 1808; Lieutenant General 4th June 1813.
          Created Baronet - 19 February 1806; died 18 May 1822.

          And talking of "Gibsoning" history.....

          * The 1879 Bromhead was almost totally deaf, which was why he had
          been left in charge at Rorke's Drift; both he and Chard remained in
          the Army for many years (despite their constant anti-war dialogues in
          the film).
          * Colour Sergeant Bourne was only 24.
          * Commissary Dalton - a former infantry sergeant-major, who had been
          trained in the construction of field defences - designed the "mealie
          bag redoubt".
          * Reprobate Pvte Henry Hook was, in real life, tee-total and a
          Methodist lay preacher, and left the Army with an exemplary record (I
          believe his family threatened to sue the makers of the film).
          * Only a dozen men were Welsh; most were English from the Midlands,
          as the 24th Foot was the 2nd Warwickshire Regiment in 1879 and only
          became the South Wales Borderers in the Cardwell Reform of 1881.
          * It is likely that everyone was bearded (shaving was abandoned
          throughout Chelmsford's force to conserve water).
          * The Zulus attacking Rorke's Drift were not from Isandlwhana; they
          were a separate group detached from the main body specifically to
          attack Rorke's Drift; although they had about 500 firearms, most were
          obsolete types and not taken from the dead of the 1/24th.

          Hope that was of interest.

          Brendan Morrissey
        • Jay Callaham
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
              There was one incident in the movie (whether accurate or not) that I have
              used frequently to illustrate to this "less than desirably disciplined
              modern army", that it is battlefield discipline that is so imperative to
              winning. The scene was along the perimeter as this company of terrified
              British soldiers are awaiting another attack by 500-godzillion Zulu's. The
              Color Sergeant is strutting the line and remarks to one soldier "Jones
              (whatever the soldier's name was), button your pocket!" The fear of the
              troops was immediately diverted from the enemy to the
              retribution/disciplinary control of the Color Sergeant, ergo: "the immediate
              and unhesitating response to orders." The well trained and disciplined
              soldier can and will respond to leaders orders, even under the most severe
              of circumstances. This later played out (in the movie) when the Brits were
              ordered to attack with their "rolling fire" formation - though totally
              outmanned, the trained discipline gave them an overwhelming fire-power
              advantage over their out-numbering enemy. An unbuttoned pocket may seem to
              be an inconsequential observation, however it is not the pocket, but the
              response to the correction -- the order -- that is imperative. We can find
              this all over our period of the Rev War, and most other wars.

              Bob D.

              > For those wondering what ZULU has to do with our period......
              >
              > Lieutenant General Sir Gonville Bromhead
              >
              > Born 30th September 1758,

              So, the movie was also wrong when Bromhead said that his grandfather "knelt
              beside Wolfe at Quebec."

              Also, the good Surgeon Reynolds, who was so anti-"butchers" in the movie, in
              reality, shortly after the battle collected a pair of very calloused,
              "almost like wood," soles from the feet of a dead Zulu as a souvenir.

              And the Boer - Adendorf - disappeared before the battle even started.

              And, "Durnford's Horse" whose commander said "I know what my men think of
              Zulus" - was in reality a black unit.

              Don't get your history from movies. Enjoy them, but don't trust them.

              Cheers!

              Jay
              Cm Gds
              4th Coy, Bde of Guards

              Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList member
              photos, FAQ, etc., at

              http://www.liming.org/revlist/

              TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
              Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • John Welsh
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
                Fire power determines tactics. Using old tactics with advances in firepower
                caused massacres in the Civil War, WWI especially.
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
                  The 24th Welsh Borders was a Welsh regiment. Ich dien...I serve. Nadolig
                  Llawen...Merry Christmas! For more on Roarke's drift and the campaign read
                  Washing of the Spears.
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
                    I don't have a Bromhead family tree, but a likely closer relation to our
                    Gonville Bromhead of the 62d Regiment in the 1777 northern campaign was the
                    major of the Regiment, Boardman Bromhead. Well, make that major of the
                    regiment up until c. 1770/71 or so. Probably an uncle...or his father.
                    Little Gonville, age 12, entered the officer corps at that time as the
                    quarter master of the regiment (he was later commissioned at about age 15
                    as an ensign).

                    I am,
                    Your Most Humble Servant,
                    Eric Schnitzer
                    Lieutenant, 62d Regiment of Foot and ADC

                    "The rebel officers' behavior is admirable; their discipline is just as good
                    as though they belonged to real regiments and were real soldiers."

                    -Brigadier WR von Gall to The Prince of Hessen-Hanau,
                    Cambridge MA, March 1778

                    > So, the movie was also wrong when Bromhead said that his
                    > grandfather "knelt beside Wolfe at Quebec."

                    Jay and List,

                    Unless of course he was one of the guys who bought a place in
                    Benjamin West's famous painting (isn't that a crib just behind the
                    Indian next to Wolfe's feet????).

                    Another ancestor, the Rev. Edward Bromhead, was Chaplain of the 27th
                    Foot in the 1770s, but I haven't been able to find out if he went to
                    America with his regiment.

                    Regards

                    Brendan Morrissey

                    ps: I think that the cry everyone is talking about is "Usuthu!"
                    ("Kill!").
                  • John White
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
                      Joe

                      The cry uttered by the Zulu warriors was USUTHU. A little internet
                      search finds that was the name of Cetshwayo's chiefdom. Go to
                      http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Rotunda/2209/Zululand.html

                      If I recall correctly, the USUTHU info was passed on to me by a fellow
                      reenactor who spent several years with our state department working in
                      Zululand.

                      (We REALLY should get back to the 18th century), he said somewhat
                      reluctantly.

                      John White
                      Avalon Forge
                      Baltimore
                      "All Manner of Replicas for Living History"
                      http://www.avalonforge.com

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
                        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, GuardsOfc@n... wrote:
                        > All this talk about Zulu make me want to get out one of Martin-
                        Henris and fire some rounds in the back forty. But $2.50 each it's a
                        bit pricy.

                        > Winston S. Stone
                        > Capt. & Lt. Col.
                        > 1st Guards
                        > Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

                        It makes me want to get out a Martini, Henry. Dry, of course, for
                        Natal Province. $2.50 isn't bad for one of those rounds.

                        Mike Barbieri
                        Whitcomb's Corps
                      • joewhitney1
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
                          I'll have to differ on that issue. Professor Paddy Griffith, a senior
                          lecturer in war studies at the Royal Military Academy, wrote a
                          fascinating book called "Battle Tactics of the Civil War" where he
                          analyzed the casualty rates of Napoleonic battles and Civil War
                          battles. He also looked at the typical distance between firing lines
                          in earlier wars (like the Revolution; see, there's the tie-in!)and
                          the Civil War. He discovered that neither the casualties nor
                          distances were very different. For instance, at Leipzig in 1813,
                          casualties for the three days of fighting were around 127,000.

                          I wince every time some "historian" announces on the History
                          Channel, or reenactor tells the public, that the rifled musket
                          revolutionized weaponry, because now, "A man could hit a target at a
                          thousands yards!". In reality, CW battle lines were typically 50 to
                          100 yards apart, just like earlier wars.

                          Now, if they'd bothered to teach target practice so the men could
                          learn how to use their fancy range finding sites, as the Brits did in
                          Zulu Dawn, it would have been a different matter. Instead, they
                          emphasized volume of fire over accuracy, resulting in most rounds
                          sailing over the enemy's heads or burrowing into the ground. However,
                          the use of percussion caps over flintlocks was certainly an
                          improvement in reliability and weather resistance. But the Minie ball
                          was much slower and harder to ram after a few rounds started clogging
                          the bore. Certainly, the bullet would travel farther, and arrive with
                          more force, that a round ball, but that apparently didn't have a
                          great effect on the casualty rate. Now, when repeaters started to
                          show up late in the war, that's another matter.

                          In WWI, it was machine guns like the Maxim that caused the massacres.
                          Its inventor thought it would be so horrendous a weapon that it would
                          actually prevent wars (where have we heard that before?)
                        • Ernie
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
                            Hello,

                            How does one find out about these men? I am trying to find out about Thomas Bartis. All I
                            know from my parents is that he was in the British Army in the 1770's. Is there a way I can find
                            out about this man without troubling anyone too much?

                            Thank you,
                            Ernie Bartis

                            On 2 Jan 2004 at 19:26, gstk1776 wrote:
                            > Another ancestor, the Rev. Edward Bromhead, was Chaplain of the 27th
                            > Foot in the 1770s, but I haven't been able to find out if he went to
                            > America with his regiment.
                            >
                            > Regards
                            >
                            > Brendan Morrissey
                          • John Welsh
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
                              Thanks for illuminating another shattered myth. I was in error in using it
                              as an example, though the losses suffered in the Civil War were horrendous
                              compared to previous actions. The first "modern" war. The Napoleonic battles
                              were horrible too, but there were more "Waterloos" fought in the Civil War
                              than the Napoleonic wars. But weaponry does decide tactical considerations.
                              The musket made pike phalanxes obsolete and even spelled the doom of cavalry
                              charges, as the long bow successfully depleted the ranks of French knights
                              at Crecy and Agincourt. During the Civil War cavalry played a relatively
                              minor role overall and infantry regiments were not obliged to form squares
                              against them. But tactics seems to lag behind new technological
                              considerations as generals generally fight the last war they were in. During
                              the "charge of the light brigade" against fixed Russian artillery batteries,
                              the British and French staff watched in horror. The French general Canrobert
                              remarked: "C'est magnifique. Mais ce n'est pas la guerre." (It's magnificent
                              but it's not war.")

                              > I'll have to differ on that issue. Professor Paddy Griffith, a senior
                              > lecturer in war studies at the Royal Military Academy, wrote a
                              > fascinating book called "Battle Tactics of the Civil War" where he
                              > analyzed the casualty rates of Napoleonic battles and Civil War
                              > battles. He also looked at the typical distance between firing lines
                              > in earlier wars (like the Revolution; see, there's the tie-in!)and
                              > the Civil War. He discovered that neither the casualties nor
                              > distances were very different. For instance, at Leipzig in 1813,
                              > casualties for the three days of fighting were around 127,000.
                              >
                              > I wince every time some "historian" announces on the History
                              > Channel, or reenactor tells the public, that the rifled musket
                              > revolutionized weaponry, because now, "A man could hit a target at a
                              > thousands yards!". In reality, CW battle lines were typically 50 to
                              > 100 yards apart, just like earlier wars.
                              >
                              > Now, if they'd bothered to teach target practice so the men could
                              > learn how to use their fancy range finding sites, as the Brits did in
                              > Zulu Dawn, it would have been a different matter. Instead, they
                              > emphasized volume of fire over accuracy, resulting in most rounds
                              > sailing over the enemy's heads or burrowing into the ground. However,
                              > the use of percussion caps over flintlocks was certainly an
                              > improvement in reliability and weather resistance. But the Minie ball
                              > was much slower and harder to ram after a few rounds started clogging
                              > the bore. Certainly, the bullet would travel farther, and arrive with
                              > more force, that a round ball, but that apparently didn't have a
                              > great effect on the casualty rate. Now, when repeaters started to
                              > show up late in the war, that's another matter.
                              >
                              > In WWI, it was machine guns like the Maxim that caused the massacres.
                              > Its inventor thought it would be so horrendous a weapon that it would
                              > actually prevent wars (where have we heard that before?)
                              >

                              > Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList
                              member photos, FAQ, etc., at

                              > http://www.liming.org/revlist/

                              > Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                              > with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
                              >
                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • hm95thfoot
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 2, 2004
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 3, 2004
                                  I admit to genuine ignorance on these matters, and am guilty of having
                                  accepted the "conventional wisdom" concerning smooth bore muskets and rifled
                                  muskets. I have a couple of questions. In a message dated 1/2/2004 4:49:08 PM
                                  Eastern Standard Time, JOEWHITNEY@... writes:

                                  > I'll have to differ on that issue. Professor Paddy Griffith, a senior
                                  > lecturer in war studies at the Royal Military Academy, wrote a
                                  > fascinating book called "Battle Tactics of the Civil War" where he
                                  > analyzed the casualty rates of Napoleonic battles and Civil War
                                  > battles. He also looked at the typical distance between firing lines
                                  > in earlier wars (like the Revolution; see, there's the tie-in!) and
                                  > the Civil War. He discovered that neither the casualties nor
                                  > distances were very different. For instance, at Leipzig in 1813,
                                  > casualties for the three days of fighting were around 127,000.

                                  I'm a bit confused. 127,000 sounds significantly greater than the casualties
                                  in AWI battles. What are the comparative rates based on population at risk?

                                  > I wince every time some "historian" announces on the History
                                  > Channel, or reenactor tells the public, that the rifled musket
                                  > revolutionized weaponry, because now, "A man could hit a target at a
                                  > thousands yards!". In reality, CW battle lines were typically 50 to
                                  > 100 yards apart, just like earlier wars.

                                  I can appreciate the 50 to 100 yards, that makes perfect sense, if only in
                                  view of the "close with the enemy by means of fire and maneuver" philosophy.
                                  Also, having participated in 1000 yard competition, I certainly agree that it is
                                  unlikely that significant numbers of combatants would have been striking man
                                  sized targets at 1,000 yards with any kind of useful consistency. But if
                                  rifled muskets were more accurate at extreme ranges, would they not also be more
                                  accurate at close range?

                                  Please don't misunderstand me. This isn't criticism, I'm truly interested in
                                  this.
                                  Tnx,
                                  Bill Deutermann

                                • John Welsh
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 3, 2004
                                    There are about 400,000 French soldiers, including 100,000 unknowns, buried
                                    at the ossusary at Douaumont from the terrible battles at the Marne in WWI.
                                    A victory! A million French soldiers died during that world conflict. I
                                    suppose the majority were felled by the incessant artillery bombardments
                                    holding the line. The Germans took it too.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 22, 2004
                                      List Folke,

                                      Another note dealing with the movie "ZULU" which has become something
                                      of a cult film within the hobby--and Kate says she is somewhat
                                      lenient about discussion of the topic.

                                      Today is the 125th anniversary of the actions at Isandhlwana and
                                      Rorke's Drift. As I write this, the former action is over and the
                                      latter is just about to begin.

                                      Mike Barbieri
                                      Whitcomb's Corps
                                    • Rev. Joel Osborne
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 22, 2004
                                        A tip of the old Biretta to the gallant lads of the 24th. Hip, hip, huzzah!

                                        Pax Christi
                                        Fr. Guido Fanning
                                        aka Rev. Joel Osborne
                                        Fanning's RGMT

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 23, 2004
                                          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Rev. Joel Osborne"
                                          <joel.osborne7@v...> wrote:
                                          > A tip of the old Biretta to the gallant lads of the 24th. Hip,
                                          hip, huzzah!

                                          > Pax Christi
                                          > Fr. Guido Fanning
                                          > aka Rev. Joel Osborne
                                          > Fanning's RGMT

                                          And a tip of the old umQhele to the gallant lads of the impi who,
                                          armed with leather shield and iron assegais, in defense of their
                                          homeland against the foreign invader, charged over open ground into
                                          the volley fire and bayonets of British regulars. uSuthu! uSuthu!
                                          uSuthu!

                                          Mike Barbieri
                                          Whitcomb's Corps
                                        • Joseph Ruckman
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 23, 2004
                                            >and Kate says she is somewhat lenient about discussion of the topic.

                                            Very true, but perhaps we might be pushing the envelope a bit on that
                                            leniency?

                                            Now if it were Monty Python, the Patron Saint of Reenactors, that
                                            might be another matter. My lasting regret is that MP never produced
                                            a Zulu movie. The mind boggles...

                                            ...but I digress. Back to the 18th c...

                                            Joseph Ruckman
                                            Revlist Advisory Board
                                          • Ketcham, Greg
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 23, 2004
                                              Hmmm, Joseph? Don'tcha remember "the Meaning of Life: Part
                                              Three-Fighting with each other"? Specifically, John Cleese blithely
                                              strolling through the Zulu attack, calmly shaving as heads are cleaved
                                              from bodies, etc?

                                              So....in their own way, they did :-)

                                              Greg Ketcham

                                              Now if it were Monty Python, the Patron Saint of Reenactors, that
                                              might be another matter. My lasting regret is that MP never produced
                                              a Zulu movie. The mind boggles...
                                            • Dave White
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 23, 2004
                                                --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Ruckman" <malruck@a...> wrote:
                                                > >and Kate says she is somewhat lenient about discussion of the
                                                topic.

                                                > Very true, but perhaps we might be pushing the envelope a bit on
                                                that
                                                > leniency?
                                                >
                                                > Now if it were Monty Python, the Patron Saint of Reenactors, that
                                                > might be another matter. My lasting regret is that MP never
                                                produced
                                                > a Zulu movie. The mind boggles...
                                                >
                                                > ...but I digress. Back to the 18th c...
                                                >
                                                > Joseph Ruckman
                                                > Revlist Advisory Board

                                                Actually, they sorta did.....there is a GREAT scene in The Meaning of
                                                Life....

                                                Dave White
                                                4th Regt of Foot