House Paint

  • Spirit Rider
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
      List,
      Here in town we get a little paper ever week filled with different
      facts.
      The paper today dealt with Breakfast foods.
      One of the things it said is in early America the colonist would mix
      milk and I believe blackberries to get gray paint. Is there any truth to
      this.
      Think it would be a bit strange to tell your neighbors you painted your
      house with milk and berries. ;-)
      --
      Lt. General Noel Bell
      I Corp of the Army of Northern Virginia
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
        One of the things it said is in early America the colonist would mix
        milk and I believe to get gray paint. Is there any truth to
        this.
        Milk paint is still in use to day. I use it to paint my boxes and bellows. It
        was the paint of the period. Not real water proof though. Good for color.
        I don't know about using blackberries but earth pigments are what's used
        today.
      • barbmvd@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2004
          I have a note with ingredients for milk paint -
          4 lbs (1/2 gal skimmed milk)
          6 oz lime - newly slaked
          4 oz linseed oil or neets foot oil
          1/2 lb. color (rust for barn red paint)

          And just for good measure, some information on interior colors:
          Paint was made and tinted by the craftsman in the environment
          in which it was to be applied. Most interior colors were based
          upon white lead dispersed in linseed oil. It was then tinted with
          colors which included earth pigments and natural dyestuffs.

          Flatness was achieved by washing the oil out of the paste by
          slurrying with turpentine and allowing the pigment to settle.
          The solvent was decanted off and the process repeated until the
          desired sheen was achieved.

          Just one caveat - this came from a paint company historian and I
          do not have the actual source documentation. Some paint color
          descriptions were interesting, even to a variation in white - the
          meeting house in the North Precinct of Bridgewater was specified to
          be _white, one shade on the yellow_. (This spec is documented)

          ~Barbara

          Barbara M. Delorey
          Research & Interpretation: 18c New England
          "From Smalle Beginnings"
          The Barrett Women

        • Donald Drefke
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
            When building craftsman style houses in th early 1900s, nails bent during constuction were put in a can of water for a couple weeks and the rusty water was used to stain the interior woodwork. I suspect this was an old method of creating a walnut colored stain.

            barbmvd@... wrote:I have a note with ingredients for milk paint -
[...]

            Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList member photos, FAQ, etc., at

            http://www.liming.org/revlist/

            TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
            Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
              twmoran@... writes:
              > It
              > was the paint of the period.

              It was one of the paints of the period, probably used mostly in interior
              applications. The exterior (house) paints of the day were pigments mixed with
              oils, just like today. And contrary to present day myth, folks of the period
              liked glossy finish, and bright colors.

              Cheers,
              John

              John Johnston
              42d. Grenr. Compy.
              "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." Dave Barry
            • barbmvd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2004
                <<And contrary to present day myth, folks of the period
                liked glossy finish, and bright colors.>>

                Makes perfect sense, doesn't it? Just consider the light source - candles
                - and the fact that light reflects off glossy surfaces. Also the fact that
                dull
                colors tend to disappear under subtle lighting.

              • Sgt42RHR@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 5, 2004
                  And could be that the tastes and style of the period were just different than
                  today. The notes that Washington left about painting Mt. Vernon suggest that
                  he just luuuuuuved house colors that today, would have us calling the
                  neighborhood association!

                  Cheers,
                  John