Brown Bess - no carbine

  • Patrick J OKelley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
      Howdy,

      >Having said all that, the gun has sparked
      >a fierce desire to own one.

      Be aware that there never was a Brown Bess Carbine. That is a
      totally fabricated weapon.
      Now with a handful of modifications I was able to take my carbine
      and turn it into an Artillery musket.
      I call it my Farbine

      Patrick O'Kelley
      goober.com@...
      2nd Regiment of the North Carolina Line
      http://www.2nc.org/

    • John White
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2004
        Pat

        Now, how do you define "Brown Bess"? In DeWitt Bailey's "Pattern Dates
        for British Ordnance Small Arms, 1718-1783", there are thirteen official
        patterns listed. True, they are all carbine bore of .66 calibre, so
        perhaps that is your distinction from a true Brown Bess.

        Apparently many full size muskets were shortened by both Crown and
        Continental forces for use by mounted troops and artillery units. I
        believe that this is the weapon type represented by the modern replica
        made by Pedersoli (and perhaps others).

        John White
        Avalon Forge
        Baltimore
        "All Manner of Replicas for Living History"
        http://www.avalonforge.com