Re: Barrels, packing boxes, and construction details

  • corbiegirl
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
      Re: metal hoops on barrels --

      When were these first used? I'm sure I've seen one or two barrels in
      17th c. Dutch genre art that looked like they had iron hoops. It's
      very hard to see the details in this pic, but I think there's a bucket
      with metal hoops behind the elbow of the guy chopping off the fish's
      head, and under the table there's another barrel-ish thingy with what
      look like metal hoops to me:

      http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/art/w/wtewael/kitchens.jpg

      Wooden hoops of one sort or another do seem to be more common, but I'm
      seeing both as early as the 17th c. (and I haven't looked any earlier).

      If both were used, under what circumstances would you use wooden hoops
      or metal ones?

      -- Mara
    • Kate Johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
        > Re: metal hoops on barrels --

        Not much help since I can't remember, myself, Miss Mara, but I seem to
        remember Lorina at 5 Rivers Chapmanry addressing this very question not long
        ago on the 18CWoman list. Don't remember if she has here or not--archive
        search??<G> Or maybe check their website, which I don't have bookmarked, it
        appears...

        > Wooden hoops of one sort or another do seem to be more common, but I'm
        > seeing both as early as the 17th c. (and I haven't looked any earlier).
        >
        > If both were used, under what circumstances would you use wooden hoops
        > or metal ones?

        Regards,
        Kate Johnson
        Graphics/Fine Arts