Re: Cowpens

  • Brett & Ian Osborn
    Message 1 of 38 , Oct 1, 2003
      Crew of HMS Falcon,
      I would never discourage an honest seamen, but you will not get much
      of a tan in January at Cowpens, SC. Last year my son and I camped
      out and it was below 4 degrees with snow on the ground for the
      Cowpens event. Good thing the NPS had heated necessaries. But it
      was straw and wool blankets and a loooong night for me. When the
      honorable Jay Callaham of the Guards arrived early the next morn and
      annouced it was 7 degrees, I thought I'd have to take off my wool
      coat.
      For Patriot and the Crown Forces, it was cold weather that they had
      when they drew up for battle at Cowpens.
      Don't forget what Pat O'Kelley has cited in previous posts. You can
      swing a cat down here and find a battlefield. Kings Mountain,
      Musgrove Mill and Ninety Six battlefield parks are nearby. So for
      our friends up north, if its above zero degree in January, its a heat
      wave. Come on down and join us by the camp fire.
      Warm Regards,
      Brett Osborn
      Georgia Refugees
      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, SqrDUNTYR@a... wrote:
      > Thanks,
      > I was indeed looking for the actual location for getting there .
      > Im always looking for closer events than those up there in cold
      country.
      > In service to the crown,
      > Eldis Howell
      > HMS Falcon

    • Joyce Pyka
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 24, 2007
        Children's Historical Fiction Novel

        Hello John,

        A while back you graciously answered some of my questions
        for my children's historical fiction novel, suggeting that read The
        Battle of the Cowpens...well I've done it! Yea! What a great book.
        I'm just about done (BUT not quite) with the research for possibly
        the next 3-5 chapters which deals with theBattle of Cowpens…phew! It
        was so interesting and I'm leaning much about this period in time in
        our Country's history. The research has filled me authentic details
        and inspiration that will add much to my, although be it fiction,
        historical manuscript. I find it amazing that we ever made is a
        nation…well not really…since most of us come from ancestors who were
        with risk-takers with a fierce love
        of independence.

        Would you be interested in volunteering to read my work? The
        Chapters are slow in coming as I work full-time and the research is
        slow. Feedback is not necessary, unless you want to. While I
        cannot take everyone's suggestions and fit them into the story,
        there will most certainly are some wonderful ideas! As well as
        motivation for me to have some peopled out there that are interested
        in the same era who could pick out my errors and make the story more
        interesting.

        A bit of history about this story. It was entered in the Writer's
        Digest contest and won an honorable mention
        http://www.writersdigest.com/contests/writing_kidfict06.asp
        (#44). One of the judges was the author, Richard Peck (who writes
        children's historical novels from a humorous view point, although
        at times some serious moments, for the ages 10-14, as does I). At
        the time I won,
        I knew little of him, but I've since read some of his books and now
        I think I know why my story got recognized. Also I do have
        an "interested" agent who'd like to "see" this story expanded into a
        novel…so well the rest, shall we say, is "history!"

        Thank you for your time, and please let me know if you are
        interested.

        JP (Joyce Pyka)
        jesp3@...

        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Sgt42RHR@... wrote:

        > Hi Joyce,
        >
        > For $12 or less, go to Amazon and pick up a copy of A Devil of a
        Whipping:
        > The Battle of Cowpens (Paperback) by _Lawrence E. Babits_
        > (http://www.amazon.com/s/104-0617624-9165540?
        ie=UTF8&index=books&rank=-relevance,+availability,-dat
        > erank&field-author-exact=Babits,%20Lawrence%20E.) . This book is
        pretty much
        > the latest and greatest.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > John
        >
        > jesp3@... writes:
        >
        > I'm doing research for a historical (fact based)
        > fictional children's novel. Currently, I'm working on the battle
        of
        > the Cowpens and need to know the historical names of the
        communities,
        > towns and surrounding areas during that time period. Any books,
        sites
        > or places that you would recommend for authentic details would be
        > greatly appreciated!
        >

        > John M. Johnston
        > 42d Grenr. Compy.
        > "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." Dave
        Barry