RE: [Revlist] Save Williamsburg from Itself... Urgent

  • Ketcham, Greg
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2003
      Marshall and Liste:

      Actually, CWF did send out a member survey a bit back. I can't recall
      all of the questions, but I seem to think there might have been some
      relative merit questions on interpretation - anybody else remember
      getting this and filling it out? I also seem to recall there were some
      intriguing questions about your personal interpretation of what
      "patriotism" meant to you...unless that was some politician's flyer I'm
      thinking of :-)

      Greg Ketcham
      Webmaster
      "Drums Along The Mohawk: the American Revolution on the New York
      Frontier"
      http://www.nyhistory.net/~drums

    • robert J Friar
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2003
        Yes, this article appeared in the local paper today as well. Seems they
        are looking toward pampering the high-paid excecutives and, as you say,
        encourage their business there. To bad it appears they are doing this at
        the expense of the living history interpretation, and costing hard
        working, knowledgable folks their jobs in the process.
        This move really makes no sense at all, considering what CW is
        historically. I am confused.
        Rob Friar
        7th Va. and Isle of Wight county militia

        On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 05:54:23 EDT xxiipc@... writes:
        A rather interesting article appeared in Saturday's issue of the Virginia

        Gazette perhaps pointing to where CW is bound. The article was headlined
        "CW may
        partner on medical venture". The article says that CW appears to be going
        into
        a partnership with Executive Evaluation Center, a program offered by
        Sentara
        Medical Group to provide diagnostic testing for business executives. This

        program is similar to one at the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur
        Springs, West
        Virginia. WHAT??????? The object seems to be to get executives to stay
        overnight in CW. It kind of makes you wonder what's next.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList
        member photos, FAQ, etc., at

        http://www.liming.org/revlist/

        TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
        Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

      • J. L. Bell
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
          Rob Friar wrote:
          <<this article appeared in the local paper today as well. Seems they
          are looking toward pampering the high-paid excecutives and, as you say,
          encourage their business there. To bad it appears they are doing this at
          the expense of the living history interpretation, and costing hard
          working, knowledgable folks their jobs in the process.>>

          What evidence do you see that the partnership with Executive Evaluation
          Center is costing Colonial Williamsburg employees jobs? It appears rather
          to be an attempt to bring in more money, which would let the foundation
          employ more people. Just because the two announcements came at the same
          time doesn't mean one caused the other. They appear instead to be responses
          to the same basic situation--a budget deficit.

          If we take the long view of Colonial Williamsburg (there have been some
          interesting histories of the institution, separate from the history it
          portrays), its board has always felt a tension between attracting the
          masses with their many small purchases and the elite who could pay big
          bucks all at once. That's why from the very beginning there was a golf
          course nearby--not because the town had a golf course in the 1770s.

          J. L. Bell JnoLBell@...
        • corbiegirl
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
            And what, exactly, is wrong with having business executives schedule
            their retreats at CW? It might get more of them interested in the
            site, in historic preservation, could bring in donations.

            I work in the fundraising office for a non-profit (no, am not a
            fundraiser myself). Foundation grants to non-profits are down because
            their endowments are down (most Foundations' endowments are in the
            stock market). Corporate donations are down across the board, too.
            Individual donations are down as people feel the pinch in their
            pocketbooks.

            Why not invite business executives to the site? They're the ones with
            the money, after all... And why let conference money go to, say,
            Disneyland (a popular spot for corporate retreats)?

            If we're going to be such purists that we don't want non-reenactors
            visiting a site, we shouldn't be surprised when the site folds for
            want of funds. It's an ugly world out there right now for fundraisers
            and non-profits; we can hardly begrudge CW the opportunity to try to
            bring in more money where they can.

            -- Mara

            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, xxiipc@a... wrote:
            > A rather interesting article appeared in Saturday's issue of the
            Virginia
            > Gazette perhaps pointing to where CW is bound. The article was
            headlined "CW may
            > partner on medical venture". The article says that CW appears to be
            going into
            > a partnership with Executive Evaluation Center, a program offered by
            Sentara
            > Medical Group to provide diagnostic testing for business executives.
            This
            > program is similar to one at the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur
            Springs, West
            > Virginia. WHAT??????? The object seems to be to get executives to stay
            > overnight in CW. It kind of makes you wonder what's next.
          • John Welsh
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
              Colonial Williamsburg offers a superb conference center for symposiums and
              meetings for businesses and associations across the board, and even provides
              personality reenactors like Washington and Jefferson as entertainment, for a
              fee of course. It's book shop is wonderful, and its gift shops and
              catalogues offer some quality items to the consumer. It's hotel chain caters
              to the bargain hunter and wealthy alike, and visitors can even stay in
              buildings along Duke of Gloucester St and peppered throughout the complex.
              It is a multilayered concern designed to bring in bucks for their prime
              purpose of maintaining the historic sight for Americans.
              Part of its job is to raise money for operating the historic site. There are
              no more Rockefellars with deep pockets to do it. That's where business
              principles come into play, not in derogation of historical themes but to
              enhance them.