Re: [Revlist] Save Williamsburg from Itself... Urgent

  • Smithmdlt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2003
      An article on this same topic has been published in todays Richmond Times Dispatch. This paper is pretty much distributed across the state of Virginia. It notes that these one day health evaluations have a price tag of $3000 each.
      The paper goes on to note that CW officials said: "The changes are all planned to enhance the experiences of guests while helping the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and its for-profit resort subsidiary run more efficiently."

      Obviously, this service is geared to a select client that CW expects to help keep the foundation liquid. The average Joe - most of us on this list I would say have other concerns that have been previously well aired on this list. Unfortunately, it may all fall on deaf ears of course and unless you write the the powers that be and send letters to the editors of the Gazette and Times Dispatch.

      I would be curious to learn what CW has been doing if anything to look at the issues confronting their programs. are they doing exit interviews of patrons that have bought tickets to the historical area. Have the surveyed present and past patrons for specific feedback. They could easily do that as they have a database of those that have bought tickets. I think part of their budget should include a certain amount of dollars to do program evaluation. It is an appropriate thing to do. Maybe this is being done - I really don't know.
      Personally I think alot of the problem has to do with the economy, and people traveling less since 9/11 and CW's inability to respond effectively to this and to economic changes since the late 90's. Any changes in programs + or -, probably hasn't had enough time to have an impact given what has happened in our country since the late 90's. Anyway, its all conjecture at this level isn't it.
      Marshall Smith
    • Ketcham, Greg
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2003
        Marshall and Liste:

        Actually, CWF did send out a member survey a bit back. I can't recall
        all of the questions, but I seem to think there might have been some
        relative merit questions on interpretation - anybody else remember
        getting this and filling it out? I also seem to recall there were some
        intriguing questions about your personal interpretation of what
        "patriotism" meant to you...unless that was some politician's flyer I'm
        thinking of :-)

        Greg Ketcham
        Webmaster
        "Drums Along The Mohawk: the American Revolution on the New York
        Frontier"
        http://www.nyhistory.net/~drums

      • robert J Friar
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2003
          Yes, this article appeared in the local paper today as well. Seems they
          are looking toward pampering the high-paid excecutives and, as you say,
          encourage their business there. To bad it appears they are doing this at
          the expense of the living history interpretation, and costing hard
          working, knowledgable folks their jobs in the process.
          This move really makes no sense at all, considering what CW is
          historically. I am confused.
          Rob Friar
          7th Va. and Isle of Wight county militia

          On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 05:54:23 EDT xxiipc@... writes:
          A rather interesting article appeared in Saturday's issue of the Virginia

          Gazette perhaps pointing to where CW is bound. The article was headlined
          "CW may
          partner on medical venture". The article says that CW appears to be going
          into
          a partnership with Executive Evaluation Center, a program offered by
          Sentara
          Medical Group to provide diagnostic testing for business executives. This

          program is similar to one at the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur
          Springs, West
          Virginia. WHAT??????? The object seems to be to get executives to stay
          overnight in CW. It kind of makes you wonder what's next.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList
          member photos, FAQ, etc., at

          http://www.liming.org/revlist/

          TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
          Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

        • J. L. Bell
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
            Rob Friar wrote:
            <<this article appeared in the local paper today as well. Seems they
            are looking toward pampering the high-paid excecutives and, as you say,
            encourage their business there. To bad it appears they are doing this at
            the expense of the living history interpretation, and costing hard
            working, knowledgable folks their jobs in the process.>>

            What evidence do you see that the partnership with Executive Evaluation
            Center is costing Colonial Williamsburg employees jobs? It appears rather
            to be an attempt to bring in more money, which would let the foundation
            employ more people. Just because the two announcements came at the same
            time doesn't mean one caused the other. They appear instead to be responses
            to the same basic situation--a budget deficit.

            If we take the long view of Colonial Williamsburg (there have been some
            interesting histories of the institution, separate from the history it
            portrays), its board has always felt a tension between attracting the
            masses with their many small purchases and the elite who could pay big
            bucks all at once. That's why from the very beginning there was a golf
            course nearby--not because the town had a golf course in the 1770s.

            J. L. Bell JnoLBell@...
          • corbiegirl
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
              And what, exactly, is wrong with having business executives schedule
              their retreats at CW? It might get more of them interested in the
              site, in historic preservation, could bring in donations.

              I work in the fundraising office for a non-profit (no, am not a
              fundraiser myself). Foundation grants to non-profits are down because
              their endowments are down (most Foundations' endowments are in the
              stock market). Corporate donations are down across the board, too.
              Individual donations are down as people feel the pinch in their
              pocketbooks.

              Why not invite business executives to the site? They're the ones with
              the money, after all... And why let conference money go to, say,
              Disneyland (a popular spot for corporate retreats)?

              If we're going to be such purists that we don't want non-reenactors
              visiting a site, we shouldn't be surprised when the site folds for
              want of funds. It's an ugly world out there right now for fundraisers
              and non-profits; we can hardly begrudge CW the opportunity to try to
              bring in more money where they can.

              -- Mara

              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, xxiipc@a... wrote:
              > A rather interesting article appeared in Saturday's issue of the
              Virginia
              > Gazette perhaps pointing to where CW is bound. The article was
              headlined "CW may
              > partner on medical venture". The article says that CW appears to be
              going into
              > a partnership with Executive Evaluation Center, a program offered by
              Sentara
              > Medical Group to provide diagnostic testing for business executives.
              This
              > program is similar to one at the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur
              Springs, West
              > Virginia. WHAT??????? The object seems to be to get executives to stay
              > overnight in CW. It kind of makes you wonder what's next.
            • John Welsh
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
                Colonial Williamsburg offers a superb conference center for symposiums and
                meetings for businesses and associations across the board, and even provides
                personality reenactors like Washington and Jefferson as entertainment, for a
                fee of course. It's book shop is wonderful, and its gift shops and
                catalogues offer some quality items to the consumer. It's hotel chain caters
                to the bargain hunter and wealthy alike, and visitors can even stay in
                buildings along Duke of Gloucester St and peppered throughout the complex.
                It is a multilayered concern designed to bring in bucks for their prime
                purpose of maintaining the historic sight for Americans.
                Part of its job is to raise money for operating the historic site. There are
                no more Rockefellars with deep pockets to do it. That's where business
                principles come into play, not in derogation of historical themes but to
                enhance them.