Re: [Revlist] Taking the field (training music)

  • P. Patrick White
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2003
      Hi Patrick and folks

      Well, actually in the mid atlantic and southern music, we do train ( by
      practising during the events and offering a standardized music play and
      source list) and limit participation of musicians through age restriction
      (13)and ability. If a drummer can't drum whats the point of being on the
      field? Unfortunately there are units that want any kind of beat and if their
      are no musicians, they hand a drum to whoever is willing - thats your bad
      music. Not our fault. A better idea is to have your unit learn a song they
      can sing on the march when there is no music. It looks and sounds good and
      will help keep them in step.

      Inspection- drums need to be pulled, fifes tuned and musicians sent back to
      their tents for water- you just don't see any of this because it is done
      before we fall in.

      Music is massed so it doesn't sound like 5 boom boxes going at the same
      time. How many times have you all had a problem marching to the drum ahead
      and the drum behind-which one do you choose when you hear them equally? We
      prefer massing too, yes we like the big sound, especially when we pass the
      Brit music.... If you were in the music , you would hear the drum major
      holler "If you don't know it don't play it! " We have musicians walk and
      listen to pick up the tunes by ear and so it doesn't mess up the existing
      sound.

      But I have to admit we are pretty spoiled down here because we have
      developed strong leadership and a good relationship with our units ,
      something the northern music perhaps needs to develop.. If the units don't
      support their music and learn when to use it, the music will never have the
      chance to improve and eventually just disappear - and we wouldn't want that.

      Pamela
      1MRFifer
      www.ppatrickwhite.com
      Historic Art