Taking the field (training)

  • Patrick J OKelley
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2003
      Howdy,

      >Ok I'm going to sound stupid for this one. But no one may take teh field
      >until they have trained and passed inspection. Thats the rule.

      In the 20+ years that I have been reenacting I have never seen a
      musician inspected (what do you inspect for? Ping your fife?) and I have
      never seen a test to determine if they have been trained. Trust me, I
      have heard some truly bad musicians, that probably have had no training
      at all. Don't even get me started on bagpipers. How can you tell a good
      one from a bad one?

      >Perhaps we need a music rule saying if you have not trained you don't
      >take the field no mater what age you are.

      And who would be the person to determine what "training" is?
      This all falls back into the unit's responsibility. It is up to
      them to determine whether or not an individual is trained or not. The
      problem here is that folks love to mass the music, which brings together
      all sorts of folks, and becomes a dumping ground. This is sort of the
      thing I saw when I portrayed rifleman. The rifles were massed and became
      a dumping ground for anyone who did not have a musket, or did not know
      how to fight in the line.
      The solution? Don't mass.
      OK, music loves to have big groups of drums and fifes, so a
      second solution, is use common sense. I saw different post that said the
      drum major didn't take the initiative and tell the kid to get off the
      field. OK, what watery tart gave that drum major a sword and made him
      king? In other words, the entire music chain of command is ficticious,
      so anyone who is in that "mass" take the initiative and tell the under
      age kid to go home. If the parent unit has a problem with that, tell
      them that he is their problem, not yours. They are the "parent" unit.
      You musicians have to deal with this problem. The problem
      doesn't exist in the line, because each unit could stop such an incident.
      We have some pretty young kids in our line when I bring out Junior ROTC.
      However they are in "our" line, and not someone else's. We can control
      the situation.

      Patrick O'Kelley
      goober.com@...
      2nd Regiment of the North Carolina Line