Re: [Revlist] Save Williamsburg from Itself... Urgent

  • xxiipc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2003
      A rather interesting article appeared in Saturday's issue of the Virginia
      Gazette perhaps pointing to where CW is bound. The article was headlined "CW may
      partner on medical venture". The article says that CW appears to be going into
      a partnership with Executive Evaluation Center, a program offered by Sentara
      Medical Group to provide diagnostic testing for business executives. This
      program is similar to one at the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West
      Virginia. WHAT??????? The object seems to be to get executives to stay
      overnight in CW. It kind of makes you wonder what's next.
    • turf12001
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2003
        Hello Mike & Liste:

        I've not had time to follow this thread closely since its the busiest
        time of year for me. If there is a true threat to Colonial
        Williamsburg's ability to teach our early history, however, would it
        help to enlist the DAR and SAR? I'm not a member, don't know much
        about them, but assume they have some "pull" in these matters.

        That said, would someone provide a succinct explanation of why these
        changes are being considered? I did a net search for news articles,
        but this issue is apparently low priority. Likewise, I tried to
        "learn" from this list's archives, but the information is too scattered.

        If the reason behind these proposed changes is that corporate managers
        don't see the value of Living History, we might use this as an
        opportunity to educate ourselves on why they think that way. Why would
        someone not be entranced by illusion that Patrick Henry or even Molly
        Everywoman is standing there, alive, before them? Why is it even
        important? If we can answer that,we might also understand how to
        answer when an Joe six-pack asks, "Why study history?"

        Dave McKissack
        Cohee Mess, Culpeper Militia -- BAR
        2nd NC -- CL

        "...those dear ragged Continentals, whose patience will be the admiration
        of future ages." Colonel John Laurens, KIA, Combahee Ferry, SC, 27 Aug
        1782.
      • Smithmdlt@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2003
          An article on this same topic has been published in todays Richmond Times Dispatch. This paper is pretty much distributed across the state of Virginia. It notes that these one day health evaluations have a price tag of $3000 each.
          The paper goes on to note that CW officials said: "The changes are all planned to enhance the experiences of guests while helping the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and its for-profit resort subsidiary run more efficiently."

          Obviously, this service is geared to a select client that CW expects to help keep the foundation liquid. The average Joe - most of us on this list I would say have other concerns that have been previously well aired on this list. Unfortunately, it may all fall on deaf ears of course and unless you write the the powers that be and send letters to the editors of the Gazette and Times Dispatch.

          I would be curious to learn what CW has been doing if anything to look at the issues confronting their programs. are they doing exit interviews of patrons that have bought tickets to the historical area. Have the surveyed present and past patrons for specific feedback. They could easily do that as they have a database of those that have bought tickets. I think part of their budget should include a certain amount of dollars to do program evaluation. It is an appropriate thing to do. Maybe this is being done - I really don't know.
          Personally I think alot of the problem has to do with the economy, and people traveling less since 9/11 and CW's inability to respond effectively to this and to economic changes since the late 90's. Any changes in programs + or -, probably hasn't had enough time to have an impact given what has happened in our country since the late 90's. Anyway, its all conjecture at this level isn't it.
          Marshall Smith
        • Ketcham, Greg
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2003
            Marshall and Liste:

            Actually, CWF did send out a member survey a bit back. I can't recall
            all of the questions, but I seem to think there might have been some
            relative merit questions on interpretation - anybody else remember
            getting this and filling it out? I also seem to recall there were some
            intriguing questions about your personal interpretation of what
            "patriotism" meant to you...unless that was some politician's flyer I'm
            thinking of :-)

            Greg Ketcham
            Webmaster
            "Drums Along The Mohawk: the American Revolution on the New York
            Frontier"
            http://www.nyhistory.net/~drums

          • robert J Friar
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2003
              Yes, this article appeared in the local paper today as well. Seems they
              are looking toward pampering the high-paid excecutives and, as you say,
              encourage their business there. To bad it appears they are doing this at
              the expense of the living history interpretation, and costing hard
              working, knowledgable folks their jobs in the process.
              This move really makes no sense at all, considering what CW is
              historically. I am confused.
              Rob Friar
              7th Va. and Isle of Wight county militia

              On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 05:54:23 EDT xxiipc@... writes:
              A rather interesting article appeared in Saturday's issue of the Virginia

              Gazette perhaps pointing to where CW is bound. The article was headlined
              "CW may
              partner on medical venture". The article says that CW appears to be going
              into
              a partnership with Executive Evaluation Center, a program offered by
              Sentara
              Medical Group to provide diagnostic testing for business executives. This

              program is similar to one at the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur
              Springs, West
              Virginia. WHAT??????? The object seems to be to get executives to stay
              overnight in CW. It kind of makes you wonder what's next.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList
              member photos, FAQ, etc., at

              http://www.liming.org/revlist/

              TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
              Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

            • J. L. Bell
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
                Rob Friar wrote:
                <<this article appeared in the local paper today as well. Seems they
                are looking toward pampering the high-paid excecutives and, as you say,
                encourage their business there. To bad it appears they are doing this at
                the expense of the living history interpretation, and costing hard
                working, knowledgable folks their jobs in the process.>>

                What evidence do you see that the partnership with Executive Evaluation
                Center is costing Colonial Williamsburg employees jobs? It appears rather
                to be an attempt to bring in more money, which would let the foundation
                employ more people. Just because the two announcements came at the same
                time doesn't mean one caused the other. They appear instead to be responses
                to the same basic situation--a budget deficit.

                If we take the long view of Colonial Williamsburg (there have been some
                interesting histories of the institution, separate from the history it
                portrays), its board has always felt a tension between attracting the
                masses with their many small purchases and the elite who could pay big
                bucks all at once. That's why from the very beginning there was a golf
                course nearby--not because the town had a golf course in the 1770s.

                J. L. Bell JnoLBell@...
              • corbiegirl
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
                  And what, exactly, is wrong with having business executives schedule
                  their retreats at CW? It might get more of them interested in the
                  site, in historic preservation, could bring in donations.

                  I work in the fundraising office for a non-profit (no, am not a
                  fundraiser myself). Foundation grants to non-profits are down because
                  their endowments are down (most Foundations' endowments are in the
                  stock market). Corporate donations are down across the board, too.
                  Individual donations are down as people feel the pinch in their
                  pocketbooks.

                  Why not invite business executives to the site? They're the ones with
                  the money, after all... And why let conference money go to, say,
                  Disneyland (a popular spot for corporate retreats)?

                  If we're going to be such purists that we don't want non-reenactors
                  visiting a site, we shouldn't be surprised when the site folds for
                  want of funds. It's an ugly world out there right now for fundraisers
                  and non-profits; we can hardly begrudge CW the opportunity to try to
                  bring in more money where they can.

                  -- Mara

                  --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, xxiipc@a... wrote:
                  > A rather interesting article appeared in Saturday's issue of the
                  Virginia
                  > Gazette perhaps pointing to where CW is bound. The article was
                  headlined "CW may
                  > partner on medical venture". The article says that CW appears to be
                  going into
                  > a partnership with Executive Evaluation Center, a program offered by
                  Sentara
                  > Medical Group to provide diagnostic testing for business executives.
                  This
                  > program is similar to one at the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur
                  Springs, West
                  > Virginia. WHAT??????? The object seems to be to get executives to stay
                  > overnight in CW. It kind of makes you wonder what's next.
                • John Welsh
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
                    Colonial Williamsburg offers a superb conference center for symposiums and
                    meetings for businesses and associations across the board, and even provides
                    personality reenactors like Washington and Jefferson as entertainment, for a
                    fee of course. It's book shop is wonderful, and its gift shops and
                    catalogues offer some quality items to the consumer. It's hotel chain caters
                    to the bargain hunter and wealthy alike, and visitors can even stay in
                    buildings along Duke of Gloucester St and peppered throughout the complex.
                    It is a multilayered concern designed to bring in bucks for their prime
                    purpose of maintaining the historic sight for Americans.
                    Part of its job is to raise money for operating the historic site. There are
                    no more Rockefellars with deep pockets to do it. That's where business
                    principles come into play, not in derogation of historical themes but to
                    enhance them.