Spice help beforte Ti this weekend!

  • Nicole
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      My mom asked me to ask you guys if any of you know what type of
      spices would have been around in the 18 c. and how were they stored?
      Were the root plants ground up or kept as whole roots. Where they
      kept in little bags or glasses or what. Any help before this weekend
      would be awesome. Thanks
      Nicole
    • John White
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        Nicole

        Now I don't know much about cookin', 'cept what tastes good ... BUT, you
        might want to start at http://penzeys.com/ These folks sell a wide
        variety of spices and the really nice thing is that they offer a bit of
        history on practically everything they have.

        It is worthwhile to order their printed catalog, if only for the history.

        John White
        Avalon Forge
        Baltimore
        "All Manner of Replicas for Living History"
        http://www.avalonforge.com