Re: [Revlist] Too Young To Drum

  • P. Patrick White
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
      Ron,
      I am sorry to hear this happened yet again.As music of the Contintental
      Line, you may (we do)return the youngster to his parents next time and tell
      them that he is not old enough to fall in for battle until he is 13.We
      welcome and encourage all ages for practise and jams at night, but the
      music will not be responsible for anyone under 13 on the field.Period.
      Sorry you did not know this sooner....
      YS
      Pamela
      1MR Fifer

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
        Pam,

        I really don't know what his age was. He could have even been 13.
        But he had a drum that didn't work, obviously couldn't play a cadence
        or any signal, didn't have water in his canteen, and never showed up
        with the music during the whole weekend except 5 minutes before the
        Sunday battle. I'm sure you or Kim would have taken care of the
        problem, we just have to find away to address when you guys are not
        there as the other adults who are not DM's or FM's don't feel it's
        within their authroity.

        Ron

        >I am sorry to hear this happened yet again.As music of the
        >Contintental Line, you may (we do)return the youngster to his
        >parents next time and tell them that he is not old enough to fall in
        >for battle until he is 13. We welcome and encourage all ages for
        >practise and jams at night, but the music will not be responsible
        >for anyone under 13 on the field.Period. Sorry you did not know this
        >sooner....
      • TW Moran
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
          Ok I'm going to sound stupid for this one. But no one may take teh field
          until they have trained and passed inspection. Thats the rule.
          Perhaps we need a music rule saying if you have not trained you don't
          take the field no mater what age you are.

          Tw
        • Abe Fisher
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
            Ron--

            I was willing to keep an adult (indeed, a geriatric adult) out of my
            musket line on Sunday because he had only a 6 ounce water bottle. I
            was also willing, I admit, to hand him one of my spare bottles of
            water, but that's because I'm a nice guy and I realized that I wasn't
            going to go short. The basic rule, never mind age, skill, or
            functional equipment, MUST be that if you don't have the bare
            necessities of going on the field safely (I would argue a minimum of
            16 oz of water, for example), you don't field. Period.

            Abe

            --
            Abe Fisher
            85eme Reg't de Saintonge