Too Young To Drum

  • berkshire1777
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
      Dear List,

      We have all attended events where very young drummers have taken the
      field without even the basic skill level to play the cadence. The
      worst case I've seen was this weekend when a young drummer was forced
      upon the mass music just before Sunday's battle as all the troops
      were assembled. The young man had not attended any of the
      numerous "Musician's Calls" or practices we held throughout the
      weekend. In fact, we had never seen him before the Sunday battle
      formation. His drum was so loose it could not be played which may
      have been good since he didn't know the cadence or any signals
      anyway. We quickly determined he didn't have water in his canteen
      and sent him to get some. An adult relative from one of the units
      brought him back and said he had water for the lad (I don't know how
      he expected to get water to him on the battlefield). The young
      drummer who was barley big enough to lug his drum, never beat a
      stroke during the long march to or from the battle or on the field.
      We, the music, became his babysitting service. This was an unsafe
      and unacceptable situation.

      There are a lot of adults and young folks who put a tremendous effort
      into preparing to participate in the field music for an event to
      enhance the authenticity and the enjoyment of the event for all. How
      do we get units to take some responsibility in this matter and get
      them to make sure their young musicians have some minimal level of
      ability and understanding of the safety issues before they take the
      field?

      YMHS,

      Ron Glidden
    • P. Patrick White
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
        Ron,
        I am sorry to hear this happened yet again.As music of the Contintental
        Line, you may (we do)return the youngster to his parents next time and tell
        them that he is not old enough to fall in for battle until he is 13.We
        welcome and encourage all ages for practise and jams at night, but the
        music will not be responsible for anyone under 13 on the field.Period.
        Sorry you did not know this sooner....
        YS
        Pamela
        1MR Fifer

        > We have all attended events where very young drummers have taken the
        > field without even the basic skill level to play the cadence. The
        > worst case I've seen was this weekend when a young drummer was forced
        > upon the mass music just before Sunday's battle as all the troops
        > were assembled. The young man had not attended any of the
        > numerous "Musician's Calls" or practices we held throughout the
        > weekend. In fact, we had never seen him before the Sunday battle
        > formation. His drum was so loose it could not be played which may
        > have been good since he didn't know the cadence or any signals
        > anyway. We quickly determined he didn't have water in his canteen
        > and sent him to get some. An adult relative from one of the units
        > brought him back and said he had water for the lad (I don't know how
        > he expected to get water to him on the battlefield). The young
        > drummer who was barley big enough to lug his drum, never beat a
        > stroke during the long march to or from the battle or on the field.
        > We, the music, became his babysitting service. This was an unsafe
        > and unacceptable situation.
        >
        > There are a lot of adults and young folks who put a tremendous effort
        > into preparing to participate in the field music for an event to
        > enhance the authenticity and the enjoyment of the event for all. How
        > do we get units to take some responsibility in this matter and get
        > them to make sure their young musicians have some minimal level of
        > ability and understanding of the safety issues before they take the
        > field?
        >
        > YMHS,
        >
        > Ron Glidden
        >

        > Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList
        member photos, FAQ, etc., at

        > http://www.liming.org/revlist/

        > Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

      • berkshire1777
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
          Pam,

          I really don't know what his age was. He could have even been 13.
          But he had a drum that didn't work, obviously couldn't play a cadence
          or any signal, didn't have water in his canteen, and never showed up
          with the music during the whole weekend except 5 minutes before the
          Sunday battle. I'm sure you or Kim would have taken care of the
          problem, we just have to find away to address when you guys are not
          there as the other adults who are not DM's or FM's don't feel it's
          within their authroity.

          Ron

          >I am sorry to hear this happened yet again.As music of the
          >Contintental Line, you may (we do)return the youngster to his
          >parents next time and tell them that he is not old enough to fall in
          >for battle until he is 13. We welcome and encourage all ages for
          >practise and jams at night, but the music will not be responsible
          >for anyone under 13 on the field.Period. Sorry you did not know this
          >sooner....
        • TW Moran
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
            Ok I'm going to sound stupid for this one. But no one may take teh field
            until they have trained and passed inspection. Thats the rule.
            Perhaps we need a music rule saying if you have not trained you don't
            take the field no mater what age you are.

            Tw
          • Abe Fisher
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
              Ron--

              I was willing to keep an adult (indeed, a geriatric adult) out of my
              musket line on Sunday because he had only a 6 ounce water bottle. I
              was also willing, I admit, to hand him one of my spare bottles of
              water, but that's because I'm a nice guy and I realized that I wasn't
              going to go short. The basic rule, never mind age, skill, or
              functional equipment, MUST be that if you don't have the bare
              necessities of going on the field safely (I would argue a minimum of
              16 oz of water, for example), you don't field. Period.

              Abe

              --
              Abe Fisher
              85eme Reg't de Saintonge