Re: [Revlist] Bannock?

  • Lowell Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2003
      Morn' John. Many thanks for your quick reply. I must
      admit that I didn't think of using "google". Hey,
      where's
      the oatmeal? I'll try these at home and then over the
      fire at Ft. Fred-- in April. We are the guys that
      sell the beautiful
      F & I targets. Any and all of you stop by way. Shop
      or chat- no matter.
      Lowell Thomas

      --- Sgt42RHR@... wrote:
      > Hi Lowell,
      > A quick Google search using "Bannock recipe"
      > came up with many hits.
      > Here are three.
      >
      > Happy cooking,
      > John
      >
      > Sigurd's Bannock Recipe
      > This bannock recipe, which Sigurd said is "for four,
      > depending on appetite
      > and what else goes with it," comes from a letter he
      > wrote on December 18,
      > 1962. Everything below is a direct quote:
      > Three or four cups of flour, a good pinch of salt, a
      > few tablespoons of bacon
      > grease, a level teaspoon of baking powder, enough
      > warm water to make dough.
      > Kneed the dough well, turning it over and over until
      > all the ingredients are
      > well mixed and the dough of even consistency. Use
      > only enough water to make a
      > rather dry dough. Too much water and it is spoiled.
      > Then, depending on the size of your frying pan, cut
      > off enough of the dough
      > to pat into a well-greased pan, making the bannock
      > at this stage not more
      > than half an inch in thickness. Have it fill the
      > pan.
      > Now it is ready for the baking. You can start it
      > over a low flame very gently
      > so as not to burn, but it is better to do as the
      > Indians and Old Timers-prop
      > your pan beside the fire so it will get the heat and
      > bake from the top. After
      > the top is done, you can turn it and brown the other
      > side. It usually takes
      > about twenty minutes. The secret is a slow, even
      > heat.
      > After it is done you can rub it with more bacon
      > grease to make a nice juicy
      > crust. Many like to add some fruit to the bannock,
      > raisins, any chopped
      > fruit, dried, or anything you can pick in season. It
      > does something.
      > This is the bread of the north and worth working at.
      > Bannock Recipe
      > 4 cups flour
      >
      > 4 teaspoons baking powder
      >
      > 1 teaspoon salt
      >
      > 4 tablespoons oil
      > Mix ingredients and add water until you have a
      > doughy consistency. Knead
      > approximately 10 minutes
      > You can add cinnamon/brown sugar to make it taste a
      > bit differently.
      > Grease and heat a frying pan. Form the dough into
      > cakes (sort of like
      > tortillas or pancakes) about 1/2 inch thick and dust
      > lightly with flour.
      > Lay the bannock in the frying pan.
      > Wiggle the pan every so often to keep the bannock
      > from sticking.
      > Once a bottom crust has formed and the dough has
      > hardened enough to hold
      > together, turn them.
      > Cooking takes 12-15 minutes.
      > If you don't have a frying pan you can make a
      > thicker dough by adding less
      > water. Roll the dough into a long snake, no wider
      > than an inch. Wind this
> [...]

      =====
      "To win bright honour from the palefaced moon."
      Combined Operations, 1943

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com