Re: Valley Forge Hardships...was Bodle Valley Forge book (long)

  • turf12001 <turf1@vt.edu>
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2003
      Hello Kate and Liste:

      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Kate Johnson" <graphicart@e...>
      wrote:
      > The marketing guys DEAL in what they think will sell the book; if
      > that's sensationalism, that's what you're gonna see on the jacket
      > and in the ads. It may have little to do with what's inside the
      > book or how it's actually handled. Marketing doesn't see "deeply
      > researched, well-documented and exhaustively footnoted" as sexy
      > jacket copy, alas...<GG>

      Well, I've not dealt with publishing issues, so I'm sure you
      understand this more than I. The blurb that John Johnston first
      posted appears on the Penn U. Press website at:

      http://www.psupress.org/books/titles/0-271-02230-2.html

      So this is a book issued by a university press. Do you know if a
      professor/author has more control over these kinds of blurbs in a
      university press than someone like Bob Davis or Larry Babits or
      Kate Johnson would with a commercial publishing house?

      > Guess we'd need to read it to see if _Bodle_ [mishandled the info],
      > or if the marketing guys were just doing their Mad Ave thing...

      If Bodle approved that "blurb" (what the h*ll is the proper name for
      such a thing?), I don't need to read the book to see if he mishandled
      the info. I agree with Mike Cecere that the way that blurb reads, it
      insinuates that the suffering at Valley Forge is a myth believed
      only by schoolchildren and that Washington was shifty. Some incidents
      associated with Valley Forge ARE mythological, and Washington
      could downright LIE when he had to, but a scholar has an ethical
      obligation to put "myth-busting" research into perspective when it
      concerns national icons.

      I will never forget reading a newspaper article that came
      out years ago when the research discussed on the NPS website was first
      publicized. The headline was something like "Myths of Valley Forge:
      No one starved, no one even died there. And Washington lied about it
      all." You cannot control media sharks seeking to make names for
      themselves, but you can publicize research in a way that places it in
      perspective and at least makes it more difficult for them to
      sensationalize.

      Cheers.
      David McKissack, 7th VA
      "...those dear ragged Continentals, whose patience will be the
      admiration of future ages." Colonel John Laurens, KIA, Combahee Ferry,
      SC, 27 Aug 1782.