Loyalist claims in NC

  • WSpearNC@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2003
      Hello,

      We may have covered this before, but there was a NC superior court case where
      property was returned to the daughter of a man turned out for being a
      loyalist. Bayard v. Singleton (1787) was significant in that the court
      decision declared unconstitutional the 1777 and 1779 Confiscation Acts in NC
      , because they deprived the man ('s family) of property without due process
      of law (jury trial). This case is listed as the first by a US court
      declaring a law unconstitutional.

      I now return to my scout/lurking role

      Will Spear
      Johnston Co. Reg.