Re: [Revlist] Exiled tories

  • Cindi Luckett
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
      Patrick,
      You are correct in your information. I have read that in 1783 and 1784 alone 137 banished South Carolinians or their representatives petitioned for permission to return to the state and reclaim their confiscated property. In 92 of these cases, the assembly decreased the offenders' sentences to a 12 percent amercement, while relieving 30 of them from all penalties whatsever. By 1787 only 87 South Carolinians were still officially banished and dispossed of their estates while others chose to remain in exile.
      The book I acquired the information from is "Southern Women in Revolution, 1776-1800 Personal and Political Narratives" by Cynthia A. Kierner. The ISBN is 1-57003-218-1 and is Printed by the University of South Carolina Press.
      Cindi

      Cindi Luckett
      Charleston, SC
      crewelhearted@...

      "If you love life, then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of." Benjamin Franklin