Exiled tories

  • Patrick J OKelley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
      Howdy,

      >It seems since many of the wives of exiled men stayed in the family
      >homes they were able to secure at least some of the estates merely by
      living in them.

      This would have been during the war. After the war only three men
      were exiled from the Carolinas. They were "Bloody Bill" Cunningham,
      David Fanning, and a third man who killed Colonel Abel Kolb.
      Thanks to Francis Marion the Loyalists were allowed to return to
      the Carolinas, and not have their property confiscated.
      During the war there was an incredibly brutal and bloody civil
      war in the Carolinas, however women and kids were taboo. No one killed
      or raped any of them. It would have been considered unthinkable to do
      so. This did not count in the war against the Indians though. However
      even there it was very rare to go about killing women and kids. Many
      times they left them alone as they burned the villages.

      Patrick O'Kelley
      goober.com@...
      2nd Regiment of the North Carolina Line
      http://www.2nc.org/
    • Cindi Luckett
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
        Patrick,
        You are correct in your information. I have read that in 1783 and 1784 alone 137 banished South Carolinians or their representatives petitioned for permission to return to the state and reclaim their confiscated property. In 92 of these cases, the assembly decreased the offenders' sentences to a 12 percent amercement, while relieving 30 of them from all penalties whatsever. By 1787 only 87 South Carolinians were still officially banished and dispossed of their estates while others chose to remain in exile.
        The book I acquired the information from is "Southern Women in Revolution, 1776-1800 Personal and Political Narratives" by Cynthia A. Kierner. The ISBN is 1-57003-218-1 and is Printed by the University of South Carolina Press.
        Cindi

        Cindi Luckett
        Charleston, SC
        crewelhearted@...

        "If you love life, then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of." Benjamin Franklin