At the Halberds

  • Patrick J OKelley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
      Howdy,

      >Halberbs is not Stocks, they were the
      >"spear/axe"(description) pole that Sargents and
      >Officers carried that there was 3 of them tied
      >together to form a "pyramid" and the offending
      >soldier's two hands were tied with his back exposed
      >outward and was given the lash.

      I know what the Halberd is, however, when the punishment in the
      orderly books states that he was punished "at the halberds," you had some
      conflicting evidence.
      First there were no halberds on the inventory.
      The private in question did not recieve a punishment of any
      lashes, just a punishment of being reprimanded "at the halberds."
      Next, there is a civilian witness to this private being punished,
      but he is in the stocks.
      So, I think in lieu of halberds, they put him in stocks, but they
      used the name "halberd" for traditional reasons.

      >Wasn't one of the punishments of our period tieing a man to
      >halberds that had been made into a pyramid, then lashing him?
      >I would think that your reference was being literal and referring to
      >this method of flogging.

      The only problem with that is the fact that there are no
      halberds.
      In fact orders were given for officers to ditch the espontoons
      and take up muskets.
      Its kind of like the modern day Marine Corps. If you have
      Captain's Mast, there is no mast. It is just called that due to
      tradition.

      >Halberbs were the "spear. Spontoons were the /axe"

      Actually it is just the opposite. Halberd is that axe thing. It
      was made famous by those nasty old Swiss, when they used it as a knight
      can opener.
      Herb Puckett of the 2nd South Carolina is one of the few guys I
      know who carry one down here. He is usually referred to as that "guy with
      the axe."

      Patrick O'Kelley
      goober.com@...
      2nd Regiment of the North Carolina Line
      http://www.2nc.org/
    • Webb, Martin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2003
        From Mr. O'Kelly,
        I know what the Halberd is, however, when the punishment in the orderly books states that he was punished "at the halberds," you had some conflicting evidence.

        First there were no halberds on the inventory.
        The private in question did not recieve a punishment of any lashes, just a punishment of being reprimanded "at the halberds."
        Can you clarify the above of just "being reprimanded at the Halberds" Did they make the Prisoner think he was going to be lashed and then just give him a stiff ass chewing?

        Next, there is a civilian witness to this private being punished, but he is in the stocks.
        So, I think in lieu of halberds, they put him in stocks, but they used the name "halberd" for traditional reasons.
        What was the punishment mentioned above?
        Martin
        42RHR

        >Wasn't one of the punishments of our period tieing a man to
        >halberds that had been made into a pyramid, then lashing him?
        >I would think that your reference was being literal and referring to
        >this method of flogging.

        The only problem with that is the fact that there are no
        halberds.
        In fact orders were given for officers to ditch the espontoons
        and take up muskets.
        Its kind of like the modern day Marine Corps. If you have
        Captain's Mast, there is no mast. It is just called that due to
        tradition.

        >Halberbs were the "spear. Spontoons were the /axe"

        Actually it is just the opposite. Halberd is that axe thing. It
        was made famous by those nasty old Swiss, when they used it as a knight
        can opener.
        Herb Puckett of the 2nd South Carolina is one of the few guys I
        know who carry one down here. He is usually referred to as that "guy with
        the axe."

        Patrick O'Kelley
        goober.com@...
        2nd Regiment of the North Carolina Line
        http://www.2nc.org/

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2814790.4175286.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705137079:HM/A=1328027/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870030;7586687;u?http://www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>
        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2814790.4175286.1925585/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1328027/rand=648741997>

        Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes a list of sutlers, RevList member photos, FAQ, etc., at

        http://www.liming.org/revlist/

        TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
        Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.