Re: Southern Women in Revolution

  • ju_rees18938 <ju_rees@msn.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
      Cindi,

      Can you post the title and author of this book? Is it a recent work?

      Happy New Year!

      John Rees

      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Cindi Luckett <crewelhearted@y...>
      wrote:

      > I just finished with great interest a book called "Southern Women
      in Revolution: 1776-1800 and learned that while patriot wives/widows
      were desperately trying to collect pensions and back pay for their
      husbands the Tory wives were having an easier time regaining their
      property that was confiscated during the war. It seems since many of
      the wives of exiled men stayed in the family homes they were able to
      secure at least some of the estates merely by living in them. When
      the Tory wives petitioned the state governments for getting the rest
      of their belongings, money, (many even petitioned on behalf of their
      exhiled husbands to allow the husbands to return home and live in the
      family estates) etc. they had an advantage over the patriot wives
      because of their social status. Apparently the social class sticks
      together even across sides. Doesn't seem right, does it.

      > Cindi
      >

      > Cindi Luckett
      > Charleston, SC
      > crewelhearted@y...
      >
      > "If you love life, then do not squander time, for that is the stuff
      life is made of." Benjamin Franklin