Gen. Washington to Lord Howe- POW Treatment

  • bvogler
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      List-
      I found an interesting letter to Major General Lord Howe from General Geo. Washington in the "On-Line Washington Papers" (Courtesy of the Univ. of Virginia). This concerned the treatment of American POWs by the Briish military. Those who are long time members of the List have noted the many previous postings regarding the British Provost Martial-Captain William Cunningham and his ill-treatment of POWs in the war.

      After a long prologue of unhappy situations & maltreatment regarding American POWs, Washington wrote to Howe:

      "I appeal to you to redress theses several Wrongs, and you will remember, that whatever hardships the Prisoners... may be subjected to, will be chargeable to you: At the same time it is but justice to observe, that many of the cruelties exercised towards Prisoners, are said to proceed from the inhumanity of Mr. Cunningham Provost Martial, without your knowledge or approbation....."

      And so it goes,
      Bob V.
      Pensioner, 4th Compny. of Gds.