Re: atrocities universal

  • malruck
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
      >What ever happened to the origin of Lynching being mayor Lynch of
      >Galway hanging his son from the balcony of his home? Is the Colonel
      >Lynch story the accepted origin?

      Never heard the Mayor of Galway story. The following is from "Take
      Our Word For It" www.takeourword.com

      Regards,

      Joseph Ruckman

      This is an eponymous word; that is, it comes from the name of a
      person. That person was William Lynch, who lived in Virginia in the
      late 18th century, and who, in 1780, got together with his neighbors
      to form a vigilante committee to uphold order in their town. They
      were apparently not known for providing fair trials to those they
      deemed transgressors, but their victims were not necessarily put to
      death. By 1811, the term Lynch law was used to describe such unfair
      tactics, and around 1835 the term was Lynch. By 1839 the upper case L
      was changed to a lower case one. In the late 19th century the verb
      form had come to mean "inflict a sentence of death without a lawful
      trial". Today we more often hear the back formation lynching as the
      noun.