Re: [Revlist] "Typical" New England Fowler

  • R. Burke
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1 11:43 PM
      >Dear List,
      >I was looking at a couple of fowler kits recently. TVM has a kit
      >called the American Fowler in 20 gauge.

      Ron,

      The TVM catalog lists their fowler in 20 ga. only, but you can get it larger
      for the asking. I have one, and wanted the bigger bore for my hunting
      conditions. I asked for 12 ga.(.729"), the gun is actually 11 ga. (.750").
      No extra charge for the different barrel.

      YHS,

      RJB

    • sschuyler59
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3 11:41 AM
        --- In Revlist@y..., "John O. Newell" <jnewell@m...> wrote:
        > _American Military Shoulder Arms (vol. 1: Colonial and
        > Revolutionary War Arms)_ by George D. Moller (1993) and _The
        > New England Gun_ by Merill Lindsay (1975). Neumann's books
        > and _Colonial Frontier Guns_ by T.M. Hamilton (1987) also
        > come to mind. There are probably others.

        Hamilton's Colonial Frontier Guns shows mostly trade guns but
        there was a good deal of similarity with French trade and some New
        England fowlers. Hamilton has pictures of a New England gun that is a
        restocked French trade gun in the book.

        Neumann's Battle Weapons of the American Revolution, now in print
        in paperback, show a number of New England Fowlers and would be a
        good source.

        Kevin Richard-Morrow
        Second Albany County Miltia