Duty Calls

  • sodshanty@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2001
      Are you SURE there were no duty calls for breakfast, dinner and
      supper? I bet there were, and if I'm wrong, I'll post the answer,
      and admit it.
      I'm nearly positive that I found such in a fife manual dated
      1782 that I checked out from the University of Kansas Music Library.
      Also Ray Hauley [sp?] of BAR Music has a stack of fife manuals which
      he would be glad to xerox for a modest fee. I have his catalog, & I
      intend to research this good and proper. So far my source has been
      the Fort Snelling manual put out by the Minnesota Historical
      Society. While it is not an exhaustive historical treatise, it DOES
      however provide footnotes and sources for various tunes from fife
      manuals by such authors/editors as Holyoke, and Broderip among others.
      I just can't imagine soldiers in garrison not being told what to
      do and when to do it every minute of the day. Heck, I'd be surprised
      if there wasn't a duty call so they could all blow their noses.
    • Ron Aylor
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2001
        "Are you SURE there were no duty calls for breakfast, dinner and
        supper? I bet there were, and if I'm wrong, I'll post the answer,
        and admit it.
        I'm nearly positive that I found such in a fife manual dated
        1782 that I checked out from the University of Kansas Music Library.
        Also Ray Hauley [sp?] of BAR Music has a stack of fife manuals which
        he would be glad to xerox for a modest fee. I have his catalog, & I
        intend to research this good and proper. So far my source has been
        the Fort Snelling manual put out by the Minnesota Historical
        Society. While it is not an exhaustive historical treatise, it DOES
        however provide footnotes and sources for various tunes from fife
        manuals by such authors/editors as Holyoke, and Broderip among
        others."

        The tunes in the Ft. Snelling book are representative of the early
        19th century. Fort Snelling did not come into existence until August
        1819. Although a particular melody existed in the 18th century does
        not mean that its "19th century usage" was the same. I would be very
        interested in seeing the "source" that shows these calls prior to the
        end on the Revolution. It is possible that such practice started in
        the 1790's . . . I am not sure. As you know the military, and the
        music to control it, evolved greatly during the early 1800's.

        Regards,

        Ron Aylor
      • eric_schnitzer@nps.gov
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 4, 2001
          It's way too long to type-copy here, and it doesn't address duty calls while in
          a fort, but there is the excellent memoirs of Captain Samuel Dewees.

          "A History of the Life and Services of Captain Samuel Dewees, A Native of
          Pennsylvania, and Soldier of the Revolutionary and Last Wars [etc., etc.]...."
          The author and compiler was John Smith Hanna. Printed by Robert Neilson,
          Baltimore, 1844. Pages 161-170 refer to the duties of a drummer (and fifer,
          which he was at the time, in the Pennsylvania line), in the Continental Army in
          the AWI. He even makes some comparisons between that duty in the AWI and the
          "late war." He talks about beating "the Troop," "the Roast Beef" and the system
          of soldiers' mess food distribution, "the Fatigues march," "the Adjutant's
          call", "Drummer's or (Musician's) call," "Reveille," "the Rogues March," and
          "the W----'s March," as he calls it (guess what *that* one is!). Each one of
          these, and others, is described in good depth.

          Eric Schnitzer
          LXII REGT
          To: Revlist@yahoogroups.com
          From: "Ron Aylor" <ronaylor@...>
          Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 20:23:41 -0000
          Subject: [Revlist] RE: Duty Calls

        • ju_rees@msn.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 4, 2001
            Dear Eric,

            Samuel Dewees memoirs are indeed very good, unfortunately there is
            a lot of extraneous material that was likely inserted by the compiler
            John Smith Hanna. Separating the wheat from the chaff is tedious but
            very rewarding.
            In case you didn't see my previous posting, do you have the source
            where I may find the 19th century interview with Connecticut militia
            soldier Ambrose Collins regarding his account of the Saratoga
            battles? Perhaps the pension files?

            Regards,

            John Rees

          • eric_schnitzer@nps.gov
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 4, 2001
              Dear John,
              Boy is that ever true! It's like reading the original Serjeant
              Lambs, or the only published biography on Catherine Schuyler, wife
              of Philip. What was it with those 19th-century antiquarians and
              their tangents?

              I apologize for the delay in getting the citation. I did see your
              post, but finding it was another matter (I copied the quote, but
              not the source, from a visitor program I did on the subject,
              showing visitors the ground where the Conn. Militia were and the
              story of the women camp followers, in the 2d Battle).

              I promise to have it found and posted within the week.

              Eric Schnitzer
              LXII REGT

              Author: ju_rees@... at np--internet
              Date: 11/04/2001 3:36 PM