Re: Workman's cap

  • cghalgren@home.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
      --- In Revlist@y..., Atlatl53@a... wrote:
      > Sir,
      >
      > I have a copy of Engravings by Hogarth (101 prints). The working
      cap is in several of them. Some look exactly like the ones I've seen
      in catalogs and on reenactors, like yourself, and there seems to be
      variations on the same. Some seem fuller, wider,taller, etc etc. He
      was born 1697 and died 1764. His prints run from 1720 to his death so
      the workmans cap was used during this period but as to it's
      popularity later??? I think it stayed popular but then, is that a
      reenactorism to which I don't wish to be accused.

      <snip>

      > T.Pray

      As an old-timer who is follicly challenged, I find the cotton
      workmans cap to be a valuable asset while sleeping on cold nights. It
      covers the hairless head nicely, reducing body heat loss, and aiding
      in comfortable sleep. Thus, it must be a period-correct item of
      clothing - at least for us old-timers who have them left over from
      circa 1764 :^).

      YMH&OS,
      Carl Halgren,
      Lamb's Artillery