225th of the Philadelphia Campaign

  • Stacey A. Swigart
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2001
      Dear Liste: (for those of you multi-listers, forgive the repetition!)

      FYI: The Delaware Valley region under the umbrella of the Council of American Revolutionary Sites (CARS) and in conjunction with the Valley Forge Convention and Visitors Bureau has been working diligently to create some great programming and events commemorating the 225th of the Philadelphia Campaign. Our theme is "Patriots or Traitors? The Struggle for Philadelphia" We acutally had a kick-off event this year at the Battle of Germantown. It was great to have all the 18th century sites in Germantown working together...

      You can find more about our plans at www.valleyforge.org if you are interested. Other plans include publishing a second edition of CARS book, Washington and the American Revolution as well as publishing a large format map of the area with troop movements and other information included.

      We have a preliminary brochure available with the major reenactments listed for 2001-2003. If anyone is interested, forward your snail mail address and I will be glad to send one out to you.

      An event not listed, but that we are planning is "Washington's Ride to the Schuylkill" through Chester County, Pennsylvania, September 28-29, 2002. It would include an encampment at Warwick Park on a Saturday...and then a march to Parker Ford on Sunday. I would be interested to get feedback on any interest in participating in this event. Since we are working on a budget, I'd like to be able to offer participants a stipend.

      For those of you attending the Hope Lodge/Whitemarsh encampment this weekend, stop by the CARS tent to get more information...we will have lots of handouts!!

      Regards,
      Stacey
      RWB

      Stacey A. Swigart