Re: White Plains AAR--Whitcomb's Rangers

  • cghalgren@home.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2001
      --- In Revlist@y..., "Mike Barbieri" <ottercreek@v...> wrote:
      > To Those of You Recovering from White Plains
      > (and the rest of you who wish you were),

      <snip>

      > A couple of notable incidents happened during the acitons.
      <snip> On Sun., the Legion went out on the field for about 15
      minutes and then moved to the rear of the American line while the
      battalion troops and artillery blazed away for the rest of the
      action. My guys wanted to be out there a bit longer. Any other
      members of the Legion Battalion have comments?

      <snip>

      I agree with your comments.

      I feel for the American troops on that windy hill. It was quite windy
      in the British camp, but at least sometimes we had an occasional lull
      in the wind. At no time do I recall your flags at any position other
      than standing fully out, flapping violently in the "breeze".
      Impressive.

      Speaking for some (if not all) of the Artillery, we are usually
      restricted by state and federal regulations to firing one round every
      5 or 10 minutes. It is a true pleasure to be able to "burn some
      powder" for a change. Especially in battery! If we encroached upon
      your "play time", we are sorry. I also would have enjoyed a longer
      battle. We went home with powder, and I would have liked to lighten
      our load by another dozen or so rounds.

      One highlight I recall on Sunday is, immediately after a final volley
      fire from the guns, having the line troops pass between the guns, and
      advance on the American forces. What a sight, leather shoes slipping
      on the grassy hill, and seeing American fire inflict heavy British
      casualties as they assaulted the hill.

      I hope the public enjoyed the show as much as we did.

      YMH&OS,
      Carl Halgren
      4th Btn Royal Artillery, Anderson's Company,
      a.k.a. Lamb's Artillery