Bloomington Eighteenth-Century Workshop-May 21-26, 2002

  • John Maass
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30 5:09 PM
      Bloomington Eighteenth-Century Workshop
      Indiana University, May 21-26, 2002
      Announcing the first Bloomington Eighteenth-Century Workshop, to be held May 21-26, 2002 at Indiana University. The workshop will be the first of a series of annual inter-disciplinary events, with 25-35 scholars presenting and discussing in a congenial setting pre-circulated papers on a broad topic. We anticipate each day to be devoted to the intense discussion of three or four papers, amidst socializing and refreshment. The Workshop will draw both on the wide community of eighteenth-century scholars and on the large and growing group of scholars in this field at Indiana University-Bloomington.
      For this inaugural year we have chosen the topic, "Signs of the Self in the Eighteenth Century". We hope this topic will encourage a wide range of contributions, from a variety of disciplines (including English, History, German, French, Religion, Art History, Philosophy). Possible paper topics can include: aspects of self or interiority in "ego documents" such as autobiographies, diaries, and letters; philosophical debates over personal identity; changing modes of devotional practices and self-formation; eighteenth-century psychology; affect and emotions; dress and self-fashioning; childhood and education, in relation to notions of self; moral philosophy and notions of conscience; the relationship between self and selfishness; selfhood and portraiture; the European self in world encounters; how some or all of the above are questions mal posées.
      Papers will go through an application process and be selected by an inter-disciplinary committee. The workshop will cover most expenses of those scholars chosen to present their work. We will cover accommodations and most meals. We will also make a substantial or entire contribution toward travel costs.
      Please submit paper proposals by December 4, 2001. We would be delighted if you would consider applying for this new initiative, and grateful if you could spread the word to anyone who might be interested, including colleagues in all relevant disciplines as well as advanced graduate students. The application consists of a two-page description of the proposed paper as well as a current c.v. Please direct your application or any questions to: Dror Wahrman, Dept. of History, Ballantine Hall 742, Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405 (email: dwahrman@...); or Mary Favret, Dept. of English, Ballantine Hall 442, Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405 (email: favretm@...).