Re: [Revlist] General Wayne Inn -WARNING: Very Long!!!

  • Robert Mouland
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2001
      Kill him? Hell... someone did that 220sumthin' years ago...

      The Inn has a history of..umm... unearthly activities. I will paste the
      letter I sent to Will Tatum regarding my experience there, with a long
      preface from an old article.

      Okay... you asked fer it! Here is a quote regarding the ghosts supposedly at
      the Genl. Wayne.. ( they leave out the local story about how the owner went
      on vacation and came back to find all the chandelier's glass shades full of
      water, but the brass cup at the bottom (and the floor) was perfectly dry.

      "Manifestations: In 1970, when Mr. Johnson bought The General Wayne Inn, he
      was
      well aware of the ghostly tales he had heard since childhood
      about the place, growing
      up in Merion. However the reality of having 17 plus, entities
      as unseen guests took him
      by surprise, and took awhile to adjust to this ghostly
      company. Thanks to the work of
      well-known New Jersey psychics, Jean and Bill Quinn, Johnson
      was properly
      introduced to most of them, learned why they couldn't rest,
      and their critique of the
      service offered at the inn, during a 1972 seance held in the
      dining room, led by the
      Quinns. The entities communicated directly through the
      mediums present, in an orderly
      manner, each taking a turn.

      1) Critique of The General Wayne Inn - All the entities
      present were
      "generally satisfied" with their "afterlife" at the Inn,
      but had a few
      improvements to suggest. While they loved the dinner
      music provided for
      the diners, they hated the crash of the drummer,s
      cymbals. While they
      thought the tea, which they drank constantly, was beyond
      compare, the
      gin, beer, and wine didn't taste "quite right," and
      wasn't up to their
      standards, concerning spirits.

      2) First to speak was the leader of the others, a
      friendly, courteous
      German Hessian soldier by the name of Wilhelm, who liked
      to hang out in
      the cellar. He was killed during a Revolutionary War
      battle, while fighting
      for the British. He couldn't rest because he was buried
      in only his
      underwear. Wilhelm was mortified that his Superior
      officer had his body
      stripped of its clothes, which included not only his
      fine uniform, but his new
      boots as well, so another soldier could wear them. He
      said that he was still
      searching for his uniform, so he could be buried
      honorably & properly.

      3) A little boy ghost - He had lost his mother, and
      couldn't stop crying to
      say his name or any of the circumstances of his death.

      4) Two young, female entities, Sara and Sadie - who were
      employed by
      The General Wayne Inn during the mid-1800's. They died
      before they
      could solve a distressing problem, which began when a
      Persian rug
      peddler came to stay at the inn. He had told them that
      he was supposed to
      meet a potential buyer for his valuable rugs at the inn.
      When the buyer
      never showed up, the peddler asked them to be
      responsible for the rugs,
      until he came back, as he was going to go and look for
      this buyer. When
      he never came back, these two women were worried that
      they would be
      accused of stealing the rugs. Death didn't relieve them
      of this worry, even
      150 years later. They considered the people at this
      seance assembly to be
      intruders, and were reluctant to talk about how they
      died so young. (A
      guess is that perhaps their deaths were tied into the
      rugs somehow.)

      5) Eight other Hessian soldiers also made a brief
      appearance, haunting the
      Inn, perhaps because they couldn't accept their own
      deaths on the
      battlefield, and were not ready to go to the other side.

      6) An Indian and an Afro-American also made an
      appearance, as well as
      others, but they didn't say much.

      Sightings and Behaviors of the Inn,s Ghostly Guests.

      1) In 1976, Ludwig, another Hessian soldier, that wasn't
      present at the, 72
      seance, made an appearance to a part-time contractor/
      psychic Mike
      Benio. The week that Johnson was on vacation, Ludwig
      began to appear
      every night at 2:00 AM in Benio's bedroom, and sat on
      his bed. He told
      Benio that he had been killed in a Revolutionary War
      battle, and that his
      bones were buried in the cellar of the Inn. He pleaded
      with Benio to dig
      up his remains, and bury what he finds properly in a
      cemetery. After
      getting permission from Johnson, Benio excavated the
      cellar, and found a
      small, unknown room, that was under the Inn's parking
      lot. He uncovered
      some pottery and some unidentified bones. After burying
      the bones
      properly, Ludwig was satisfied, and was at peace.

      2) To see if his unseen soldier guests, or others were
      using the bar,
      Johnston borrowed a tape recorder from the Quinns. He
      heard for himself
      evidence that despite not liking modern alcoholic
      drinks, the soldiers or
      others were going to the bar late at night. The tape
      recorder picked up
      sounds in the empty building, the noise of swiveling bar
      stools, the water
      faucet being turned on, and a glass catching the water,
      which all began
      hour after closing time. A visual sighting of a Hessian
      soldier, sitting
      slumped at the bar, was made by a customer, who was
      peering through
      the Inn,s front window, late one Monday night. The Inn
      is closed on
      Mondays.

      3) In 1986, While Johnson and Scott sat at a table in
      the dining room,
      talking, a sharp form of a woman, complete with hands
      and feet, flurried
      past them, dressed in a long, billowing white skirt and
      a long sleeved
      blouse. Possibly, it could have been either Sara or
      Sadie going about her
      business.

      4) Johnson came to his Inn one morning to find water in
      the partially open
      drawer of the cash register, which points to something a
      child might do, or
      perhaps a disgruntled bar patron.

      5). Nothing surprised Johnson. Odd things had happened
      all the time.
      Mixer attachments and clean towels have been thrown all
      over the kitchen,
      both front doors have been found unlocked in the
      morning, after Johnson
      and his sons had securely bolted them the night before.

      The Hessian Soldiers often made their presences known to the
      living.

      1) The Hessian soldier, whose picture hung in the big
      dining room, had
      been seen by several employees. He could be a bit of a
      bully. He scared
      poor Nathan, who was sweeping the dining room, by
      striding menacingly
      up to Nathan, with a glare in his eye, and walking right
      through the now
      terrified Nathan, who left in a hurry, leaving the floor
      unswept. Johnson, of
      course, understood.

      2) The Maitre De had so many "visual encounters" with
      friendly Wilhelm in
      the cellar, that he finally refused to go down there
      anymore. Johnson, of
      course understood.

      3) A luncheon hostess personally met several German
      soldiers in various
      places at the Inn. Some were striding through the dining
      room, sitting at the
      bar, and hanging around upstairs, in the private dining
      rooms.

      4) A playful game that the soldiers enjoyed for over a
      year was blowing
      on the necks of the young women, sitting on the bar
      stools.

      5) The soldiers, who had a history of mischievous
      behavior, are suspected
      as the ones who liked to play tricks on Johnson's wife.
      Once, when she
      was trying to help the accountant with various chores in
      the office on the
      third floor, she was having a hard time adding up the
      totals on the adding
      machine. After trying several times to add up the
      numbers, and getting the
      wrong totals, she tested the machine with 2 + 2 and it
      read 5! She
      immediately suspected that someone was mischievously
      tinkering with the
      machine, so she impulsively ordered the "guys" out of
      the room, scolding
      them, telling them that she had work to do. The machine
      worked perfectly
      after that, with no reoccurring problems. Ghosts are
      fascinated with
      anything electric."

      Our own story: My wife and I were invited to a birthday party at the Inn
      about 18 years ago, and when standing in the downstairs bar someone grabbed
      my wife's arse. She looked right at me and said " What in hell was with
      that?". I didn't do it... I was standing right behind her and no one else
      was even close. Hmm.. okay... odd, but no big deal. Then we went upstairs to
      main guest area and she had to go to the bathroom (which was up a flight of
      stairs). She got so creeped out on the stairway )for no reason) she
      absolutely refused to go all the way to the top, and as I recall we left
      maybe 20 minutes later. Now.. you must understand she is into this sort of
      thing... I am far more skeptical. Once we were at a yard/house/estate sale
      at an 18th century farmhouse, and she got weird while looking at books in
      the attic. She demanded that we leave immediately, and as we were going down
      the stairs there was this boy of about 5 sitting on the stairs. As we went
      by, he looked right at both of us and in a monotone voice starting saying
      ..."sickness and death... sickness and death" over and over. DAMN that was
      creepy as hell!

      I have a few other such tales, but I usually save them for the Boone
      Homestead... after we have Architectural Heritage Day... when everyone
      except a few staff is departed... in the quiet of the kitchen ... by the
      fireplace... OOooooooooooo

      Robert