Observations

  • ctraders@proaxis.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2001
      My 13-yr-old son and I participated in the Ft. Ticonderoga F&I encampment
      in June this year. It was our first trip east from the Left Coast to
      participate as reenactors (Rangers). So for the part germaine to the Liste:

      I seemed to notice an inordinate number of soda cans, plastic bags, and
      grocery store deli section feasts as soon as the public was ushered out of
      the park. In contrast, there were a number of folk doing their best to
      recreate the period after hours, as well - even during the downpour of
      Saturday evening. In fact, thanks to a great discussion with one of the NY
      Battalion's cooks, I managed a week and a half in Montana this summer sans
      cooler, and we ate quite well.

      My curiosity was tweaked to see the contrast - seems two different groups
      as far as the pursuit of authenticity goes. Since most events I attend out
      here are either closed to nonparticipants or are limited participation trek
      type of things, I was a bit surprised to see the plastic and the
      sweatshirts. Now as I try not to jam me foot too fur down me gullet, I
      have to compliment the evening sweatshirt crowd on their appearance and
      demeanor when the public was there.

      What is the state of "after hours" authenticity at most reenactments? Is
      what I observed pretty much par for the course? Fortunately my son is used
      to a blanket and oilcloth, so he made do as miserably as I during the warm
      humid mosquito ridden NY nighttime, and we had a great time, but had my
      wife been there a creature comfort would have been appreciated (the 9 yr
      old wouldnt have cared - he is tougher than the others of us put together -
      thinks camping in the rain is neato). And no, if ya did it 30 yrs in the
      Army, or it just plain aint fun, I don't expect you to do it.....I am just
      curious - was what I observed aberrant behaviour, or pretty much expected?

      David Harvey
      On the left side of the Liste (Oregon-like)
      Unlike me politics