Lock Oil

  • jwfilipski@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2001
      Dear Liste,
      We talk of using sweet oil in servicing our firelocks. The Continentals
      were using a camp made form of "Neats Foot oil" in 1777 as to this quote:

      George Washington, July 5, 1777, General Orders

      "The General directs, that each regiment will not delay providing oil for
      their locks. This is easily made from the offal at the slaughter-pens"

      Yr. Mst. Hmbl. & Obdt. Svt.,
      Jim W. Filipski