Re: [Revlist] Cannon cockers

  • Jay Callaham
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2001
      > From: Patrick J OKelley <goober.com@...>
      > Date: 2001/08/03 Fri AM 07:07:36 EDT
      > To: Revlist@yahoogroups.com
      > CC: Revlist@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [Revlist] Cannon cockers
      >
      > Howdy,
      >
      > > You will be pleased to identify the "cannon-cocking" device in use on
      > any
      > > one of the Royal Artillery field pieces deployed at Minden. I
      > respectfully
      > > observe that such would be of the greatest of interest to one and all
      > of us
      > > :>) !!!
      >
      > Just like an artilleryman. You have to let an infantryman point
      > out where your cocker is.

      Now, now, Patrick. That question was asked by a Quartermaster, not an artilleryman. I'm sure it was missing from one of his invoices so he wanted to know where to look for it. ("Natives is not on my invoices, Mr. Harford - - ammunition IS! - - - and must be accounted for - - - AND the brass cartridge cases returned.")(/;^D

      > On a side note...weren't there flintlocks mounted on naval
      > carriages at this time? I knew they were around in the Napoleonic Wars.

      I was wondering the same thing. I've seen them illustrated on naval and garrison guns, but don't know when they came into use.

      Bart? Lee? other naval types?

      Thanks.

      Jay
      Cm Gds
      4th Coy, Bde of Guards

      Jay Callaham
      callaham@...

      "If you do not receive this, it must have miscarried, therefore I beg you write and let me know." - - - Sir Boyle Roche, 18th century Member of Parliament